Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm flying into Ft. Lauderdale Sunday and driving down to the Keys for a week. What's the best way to transport a few spinning rods on the plane overhead compartment? I looked on the Bass Pro online but must not be tying in the right search words. I need some type of shipping tube, can put the reels in my bag. Recommendations? Thanks. Jim

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Try this.

Jim, Give this a try.... http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.CFPage?mode=article&objectID=30588 ;)

If I were you I would check with your airline to make sure you can "carry on" something like this. Even at that it probably won't fit in the overhead, ask the stewardess if they can stow it for you. If there is anything sharp (hooks, knives etc) in the case be prepared to loose it at the security check point... happened to me at Miami a few years ago. Better to lock it securly and check it with your baggage, much easier trip!
The Keys ROCK! Have a good time.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
When your in Lauderdale, go to Bass Pro, its amazing. Next door to Bass Pro is a fishing musuem, pretty cool too.
I'd check with the Airlines on whats acceptable nowa days and whats not. All you really need is a PVC pipe,4" wide and 8 feet long with two caps on either end. Obvisousy you'll need to remove the reels.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
I'm almost 100% positive that you have to check fishing rods. You won't get through security with them. Also if they're 8' long it's probably going to cost you $75.00 for an overize package. I believe the cut off is 72". I went through this 3 yrs ago taking rods out to San Francisco. In the end I just left them at my daughter's house and only took the hit one way. The reels are no problem with your varry on luggage although at BWI they're going to make you open the bag. Better call first.

·
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Great advice, thanks. I'll call Southwest and let you know what they say. I should have mentioned they are light spinning rods that break-down. I'm staying at a place in Marathon for 3 nights that includes 1/2 day use of Boston Whalers and sailboats with each room. Jim

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
i carried on a surf rod that broke down to 2 pieces last spring to the keys. i just held it in the handles of my carry on. dont know how the brand new rules apply. when i went to AK i made one of the pvc case and checked them in.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
travelled to Telluride, CO from BWI this summer with several rods, fly and spinning. I carried the rods rubber-banded together and did not have a case. The TSA rules say something about "objects that could be used as clubs" if I remember correctly. Didn't want to chance it with my metal fly rod tube and left it at home. All rods broke into two or 3 pieces and no one gave me any grief at all. Once in telluride, where the understand a bit more, TSA actually gives your rods a shout out as they go through security and everyone gives them extra care (no rough handling, etc).

The rods were right next to me in my seat and not a word from anyone.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have flown into Ft Lauderdale twice since 9/11... I used to break my 2 piece rods down and the stewardess would put them in the "closet" where 2-suiters go... but you cant do that anymore. You will most likely have to check them. I have not gotten charged for oversized luggage yet. I have a black telescoping tube that i got at dicks. It works pretty good. You'll want to jam some socks or something in there to keep the rods from knocking around. I always carried the reels in my carry-on. You are welcome to borrow the tube... pm me. I'm near Elkton.

·
Registered
27 Posts
fishing rods

I just returned from Costa Rica and took two 7ft. one piece penn slammers with me. I used an adjustable rod case I purchased at Bass pro.I had room for all my lures,knife and rigging in the case.I checked it in as a checkin luggage and had no problem or cost involved

·
Registered
251 Posts
The adjustable rod tube is the way to go I took mine to Canada last year they did not charge me extra for the tube. If you have full size rods then you pick up your tube at the oversize baggage when you get off the plane. Since you can break them down they will probably just come out on the baggage carousel

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
I live in Marathon, sounds like you are going to Rainbows Bend Resort down here, if you want to ship to me let me know I'll give you a ship to and my cell, I can arrange to get them to you when you get here.

or just ship to your resort and have them hold for you....ship soon for a Fri delivery or use express delivery w/ sat delivery

·
Registered
281 Posts
Depends on size.. BUt you can't carry them on.
Two simple inexpensive rod tubes are..
Plastic Down Spout (Rain Cuttter) material at Home Depot cut to length and capped with tape. Great light weight . Hods 1 - 4 rods. I use for shipping and would work for baggage.
A lttle more sturdy and larger diameter would be 5 " dia. PVC pipe cut to length. I added a simple screen door handle to help carry. Use the end caps sold to match size. You can set a small screw in end caps to hold the caps on.. avoidss theft.
I pack towels around the rods to avoid rattling and breakage.

·
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rainbow's End

CAPT'N Bob - Yes, that's the place. I read good and bad reviews after I booked it. What's your opinion and what lures should I bring, mostly jigs? Jim

·
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rain Spout

Downtime - Makes good sense. You pack them in the middle of a suitcase, right? The PVC is pretty heavy. Jim

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
low-cost options

Last summer I flew to Texas and took along a new rod as a housewarming gift for friends who had just bought a new waterfront house. It was a 7', 2-piece rod. I found a used FedEx document box (the one with the triangular cross-section that is often used to ship blueprints) laying around the office, although a new one would have worked just as well. The rod just fit inside the case. I taped the end closed and carried it on the flight. That was a no-cost option. I carried the reel and some basic tackle inside of a padded six-pack cooler bag that I stuck inside my suitcase.

Many years ago I flew to FL and took 4 rods inside of a white PVC 4-inch drainage pipe with a cap on each end. The rods were wrapped in cloth to keep them from banging. That worked fine too and was low-cost.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Been there, with the 2 pc rods, you'll have no problem with oversize charges. With 1 pc rods, they seem to make up the charges as they go along (tell them they are skiis) But you aren't looking at the big picture. Last few times down, took no tackle down, and shipped it back.;) The Admiral is always in a good mood while on vacation.:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts