Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
14,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Dread Pirate Bin Laden

How thinking of terrorists as pirates can help win the war on terror.

By Douglas R. Burgess Jr.

INTERNATIONAL LAW LACKS A DEFINITION FOR TERRORISM as a crime. According to Secretary General Kofi Annan, this lack has hampered "the moral authority of the United Nations and its strength in condemning" the scourge.

But attempts to provide a definition have failed because of terrorists' strangely hybrid status in the law. They are neither ordinary criminals nor recognized state actors, so there is almost no international or domestic law dealing with them. This gives an out to countries that harbor terrorists and declare them "freedom fighters." It also lets the United States flout its own constitutional safeguards by holding suspects captive indefinitely at Guantánamo Bay. The overall situation is, in a word, anarchic.

This chaotic state is reflected in, and caused by, the tortuous machinations of the U.N. in defining terrorism. Over 40 years of debate have produced a plethora of conventions proscribing acts ranging from hijacking to financing terrorist organizations. But the U.N. remains deadlocked on what a terrorist is. As a result, terrorists and countries like the United States pursue one another across the globe with virtually no rules governing their actions.

What is needed now is a framework for an international crime of terrorism. The framework should be incorporated into the U.N. Convention on Terrorism and should call for including the crime in domestic criminal law and perhaps the jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court. This framework must recognize the unique threat that terrorists pose to nation-states, yet not grant them the legitimacy accorded to belligerent states. It must provide the foundation for a law that criminalizes not only terrorist acts but membership in a terrorist organization. It must define methods of punishment.
Read the rest: Legal Affairs

·
Registered
672 Posts
Makes sense, but there are certain situations that would still be very difficult to address. e.g. when attacks occur against military personnel/ installations (palestinian attacks on israeli military or iraqi attacks on US military) would be considered by many as terrorism, but by others as insurgency/legitimate "freedom fighting". Any attempt by the UN to classify or legislate this issue wouldn't change anything. Besides, when did you start caring about what the UN does anyway?

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
Makes sense, but there are certain situations that would still be very difficult to address. e.g. when attacks occur against military personnel/ installations (palestinian attacks on israeli military or iraqi attacks on US military) would be considered by many as terrorism, but by others as insurgency/legitimate "freedom fighting". Any attempt by the UN to classify or legislate this issue wouldn't change anything. Besides, when did you start caring about what the UN does anyway?
Is blowing up your children terrorism?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Is blowing up your children terrorism?
It would help to learn how to read/comprehend before you post. I was clearly referring to attacks against military, not innocents. Not that I am justifying that, but my point was that any definition that the UN choses to address this cannont be one that will be accepted unanimously. Per routine, you have totally missed the point.

Although you are free to do what you choose, I would ask that you not refer to my children being harmed. Feel free to attack me in any way you see fit, but leave my family out of it.

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
You mean just like certain liberals here have said that my lineage should be forced stearilized?

Are you aware terrorists are trying to be the bus drivers driving your children to school?

Are you aware that a a generation of terrorists are being raised to follow their parents as ordinance to spill you and your childrens blood.

I'm sorry but you should concentrate on the concrete at the expense of the innane if you possibly can.

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
LOL, Fritzer endorsing the UN. Watch out, the neocon enforcers will come and take away your decoder ring.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
14,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You'll notice I put a question at the end of the topic title. I find it an interesting thesis which has a great deal of historical merit, but like all analogies is imperfect. However, the agreements among the civilized nations to outlaw piracy predate the UN by a considerable amount, and needn't necessarily be consulted this time. However, as long as we are stuck with a UN, it should at least attempt to do something meaningful.

·
Registered
672 Posts
You mean just like certain liberals here have said that my lineage should be forced stearilized?

Are you aware terrorists are trying to be the bus drivers driving your children to school?

Are you aware that a a generation of terrorists are being raised to follow their parents as ordinance to spill you and your childrens blood.

I'm sorry but you should concentrate on the concrete at the expense of the innane if you possibly can.
Sorry to divert this thread Fritzer, but I feel compelled to respond one last time here. Once again, RF brings up totally unrelated SSDD. As far as the personal attacks, I have never said anything about your lineage. I don't know who you are referring to as "certain liberals" but you are certainly not referring to me. If you insist on pulling my kids into this than so be it, I will choose to do as has been suggested and ignore you. I know you don't care, but I am tired of you jacking threads and interjecting your tired old stuff. Again, we know terrorists are bad and want to kill innocents. What is there to discuss and argue about that? I have that discussion with my third grader, and honestly he puts things much more eloquently. I don't come here to engage in personal attacks, but to be entertained and often enlightened. For me, you do neither. But again, I am sure you don't care, so let's just choose to ignore each other.

·
Registered
16,826 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Thanks BJ. Just finished doing that.

G

·
I find it amazing that someone can get so worked up over a website that their blood pressure rises. Dude you need to go see a doctor or something? That just doesn't sound healthy. Have you had a blood screening latley?

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
A lot of people take this site way too seriously. But, I think it may be the grestest source of entertainment for many of them. Especially those that have no real place in society so they get their satisfaction posting nastily about others to make them feel like someone. That is a cottage industry opened up by the internet-total unaccountability.

Before you all get your panties in a wad, I am not referring to anyone specifically, but if you are upset then maybe you are one of them.

CZ

·
Registered
672 Posts
I spend a very small fraction of my day (on occasion) here. I do derive much more entertainment from other sources (mainly fishing). This site does often provide a distraction when the workday is dragging. I must admit, the family directed attacks get under my skin. As far as panties getting in a wad, I prefer the Borat thong, so that's pretty hard to do.:D

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
Better stay away from the liberal(tarians) then.

They can dish it out all day like you and your inate air of superiority, but take it like wusses.

Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
I find it amazing that someone can get so worked up over a website that their blood pressure rises. Dude you need to go see a doctor or something? That just doesn't sound healthy. Have you had a blood screening latley?
Disagree and return insult for insult and see what happens......

The self loathing exudes from every line.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts