Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had Chad (Skipjack) and Keith (Reel Crabby) with me yesterday. Headed to the Triangles in some sloppy seas (due to the Southwester)

Arrived on the scene and the Bluefish marks were silly. Chad tossed out a diamond jig and it was on. Throughout the day, we jigged for big blues and drifted the wrecks. In the end, we ended up with 20 Sea bass (the quality of the fish was down for me compared to a couple weeks ago), 6 keeper flounder 19-24" (4 throwbacks) and we kept 5 blues out of the 25 or so we caught. Weighed the three biggest...17.5 pounds for Crabby, 18 pounds for Skipjack and 20 pounds for me.

For us, the way to get the Bluefish bite was the cast it out, let it hit bottom then reel it is fast as you can back to the boat. Vertical or yo-yo jigging did not do it for us. 6 ounce Ava or Diamond jigs. I would recommend a single hook if you want to release them without losing a digit. These fish were bruisers on spinning tackle.

Seas slicked out and we motored in around 5pm...what a great day out there.

ps- Flounder were not in or tight to the rubble...so drift away from the wrecks as much as 100 yards. No rhyme or reason for that but that is the way it was for us.

Glenn

·
Registered
848 Posts
Glenn, great trip with lots of rod bending action! Thanks.

For some reason, I didn't get a picture of you and your fish - probably too busy getting doubles and triples at that moment. I did get a picture of the flounder I STOLE from you fair and square by grabbing your rod. HA!

EDIT - I cant get the pics to show up!?!?!?!

Chad

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Rob. Have not talked to you in a long time!

I busted out my trout rod but I did not connect with it. I was using a 6500 Baitrunner and a nice custom stick that John Bishop made for me... Chad had a similar set up and Keith used his flounder rod...they were the fattest Bluefish I've ever seen. 35-36" and 17-18 pounds was probably the average size fish. Shoot, the smaller ones had to be 12-14 pounds.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts