Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or Lures.....

Can you share your methods for tying the hair on lures. I'm especially interested in any tricks for the big stuff.

Putting the hair 5. 6, or 8oz lures to make parachutes. Anybody use a jig, whether home made or bought? Any tricks?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
get a vise and a bobbin. I use rigging floss for secureing hair to parachutes, mojos, and seawitches. I dont tie many "bucktails", but Id use size "E" nylon for that

With rigging floss it will not and cannot be "sealed", its waxed thread that doesn't rot and holds the securing knot very well, most guys use fingernail polish, or crazy glue on the regular nylon though.

as for hair, think out side of the box, I buy alot of hair from the dollar store in the form of halloween wigs and hair extenions. Ive got many colors and legths that you just cant get at tacklecraft places.

Danny

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Tying jigs

I tie hundreds of large mojos and chutes every year. Get a good bobbin, I use a Griffin large that is ceramic coated inside. I have tried others but there is no better out there. I use a cheap fly tying vise as well as a small mechanics bench vise to hold the jigs. I also use size E nylon thread, It is strong enough to allow you to tie stuff like the crimped nylon very tight. I use Zap-A-Gap thin to seal the thread with. It is very thin super glue that penetrates the wraps well and holds the hair on great. It takes a little practice but with good materials and some patience you can turn out some nice stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
hair

i tie hundreds of large mojos and chutes every year. Get a good bobbin, i use a griffin large that is ceramic coated inside. I have tried others but there is no better out there. I use a cheap fly tying vise as well as a small mechanics bench vise to hold the jigs. I also use size e nylon thread, it is strong enough to allow you to tie stuff like the crimped nylon very tight. I use zap-a-gap thin to seal the thread with. It is very thin super glue that penetrates the wraps well and holds the hair on great. It takes a little practice but with good materials and some patience you can turn out some nice stuff.
can you tell me what kind of hair you use and what is it callled and where do you buy it from, if you can help me out thank you daffyduck [email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts