Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before this next season of fishing begins. I need to remidy a couple issues one being my trim tab controll.. In all actuallity I need bigger tabs but with my transducers and bracket on the boat there is no more room.. I was told there is a kit would all you to bolt on to the tabs on each end to all you to drop down about an inch or so to actually trap the water inside to help the boat respond better..

Anyone know what these are called and where I can find them?
Thanks

· Registered
2,323 Posts
I've got the same "stock" trim tabs on my Gulfstream and they're more than adequate. Do you trim your engines up to about the 3.5 mark on the indicator(s) after your up on plane? That will have a HUGE effect on performance and handling. I'm running twin 150 SW II engines. If it's a faster response out of the tabs your looking for, you'll probaly need to change out the bennett tabs for Lenco tabs. I personally don't think it's worth the time and money for a boat in this class unless you plan to run wide open all the time. The other thing is you won't find any better product support than Bennett.

· Registered
2,612 Posts
Do you mean side fins for the tabs ? I've seen them with maybe a 1" drop to each side (r & l) of the tab to keep water from washing out of the sides.

But what's not working right 12x12 for more than enough ? Is it speed or not being able to keep the bow down at slow speeds ?

· Premium Member
2,686 Posts
on the recommendation of a tech at bennett i went with 2' X 1', on a parker 23 se. i use to be hooked in the the ravens football team and would take 4 large dudes out to fish. the bennett's kept the boat on level plane. call a guy named "tabman" at bennett and get his recommendation. tell him i said to call.

· Registered
2,996 Posts
Your undersized and bolting the "bat wings" on the side of the trim planes isn't going to make up for lack of surface area.

The good thing is that you should be able to reuse the existing hinge and just install the larger trim planes. Depending on the location of the cylinder’s pivot point on the tab, you may have to move the actuator mounting location on the transom.

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Yeah! You might want to look into the QL tabs. They take up way less room on the transom. They are sweet. My only reservation is that I regularly run over crab pots at night on the way back in at 30+mph. Over the years I have boken off several transducer brackets and don't want to break off a 500 dollar tab. I would think the metal plates of conventional trim tabs would be a little sturdier, and replacement parts are way cheaper.

I very recently installed tabs on my boat. I followed the directions to a T but initially was not very happy with them on the test run. I threw away the directions, removed the cylinder and moved it down about an inch to let the tabs travel down further. Now, when they are retraced all the way up, they are still down slightly but when I trim them all the way down I can really bury the bow.

This is what I wanted. Compared to the way my boat used to ride, I feel like I am now in a Donzi!

Remember, seal up those old holes well.

· Registered
1 Posts
When I had my Grady White 25' Trophy Pro surveyed before purchase the guy doing the survey was a full time Coast Guard boat officer. He taught and gave a lot of instructions on getting the best performance from you boat.

During the full speed run for the survey, the guy I was purchasing the boat from used the trim tabs to get the bow down. The boat was handling poorly (guy had owned the boat since new - 1988) and max speed was about 28 knots. The Coast Guard guy asked to take the helm and immediately set the trim full out! The tabs were completely out of the water. He then adjusted the bow by moving the twin outboard Mercs in the out direction. The boat immediately settled with the bow in perfect position and the top speed increased to 42 knots and the handling was awesome.

Your boat may be different, but I've followed the Coasties advice since I've bought the boat and the performance and gas mileage I'm getting are truly great. So, try adjusting your engine(s) angle (more out) and take the trim tabs all the way out (up). Then use the tabs only to correct for port or starboard leveling at crusing speed.

· Registered
2,612 Posts
Kim Marie...that sounds about right.

GW...What position do you run your OB tilt and have you tried that when puching the bow down ?

Also, were you ever able to verify that you were getting a full extension of the cylinders of the trim tabs ?

Something just doesn't sound right...maybe there's a pump/pressure issue thereby you would need to check for the extension under load.

· Registered
574 Posts
The fins are called "Drop Fins" and they are made specifically to keep water under the tabs instead of blowing out the side. I had the same problem with losing water out the sides of the tabs on my old boat. Came up with the idea to fab fins and ran it by Tom McGow (Tabman) at Bennett. He saved me some trouble and gave me the Bennett part number that was already available.

These things worked like a charm. After installing, my 12x12 tabs gave me the control of much larger tabs.

I know I got the fins from Boat Parts, Marine Engine Parts, Boat Accessories and Marine Electronics online, but I can't find them on their site. I know the part number ended in "DF" so I'm sure if you get the full number from Bennett and then call the Boatfix people, you'll have them in no time.

· Registered
574 Posts
Part no. is DF9 for the 9" chord tabs (I think those are available) and DF12 for the 12" chord tabs. Any marine store should be able to special order them. If the 9s aren't available and the 12s are, just get them and cut them down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.