Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had an extra battery added to the boat this winter. got it back and now the trim tabs don't work. Have the boat at Taylor's Landing boatel in norfolk now, so bringing her back to Richmond for simple repairs is not worth it. I tried to check the wiring myself, which consisted of me opening the hatch at the batteries and saying, "yep, those are definitely wires." [tongue] Everything seemed connected, so i'm at a loss for the next step. recomendations for a traveling boat mechanic that could take a look at it for me and any advise/help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Check your fluid, battery charge and connections to the pump. Get your head in there where the motor/ pump is located and have another person turn it up or down to see if you hear anything. Make sure you got a good charge on that cell!

·
Registered
559 Posts
There's normally a fuse in the circuit also...probably 20 amp. If you can't find any disconnected wires, I bet something got shorted during the battery installation and the fuse is toast.

·
Registered
656 Posts
My tabs went bad over the winter. No wireing problems so pulled it apart and took the motor off the pump. Turned out the motor was bad. It would turn but made a lot of noise. Trim master sent me a new motor and it works fine now. 75 bucks

From now on I am running the tab motor every month or so just like on the outboard engine

·
Registered
656 Posts
My tabs went bad over the winter. No wireing problems so pulled it apart and took the motor off the pump. Turned out the motor was bad. It would turn but made a lot of noise. Trim master sent me a new motor and it works fine now. 75 bucks

From now on I am running the tab motor every month or so just like on the outboard engine

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help, guys, and sorry for the late response. I found the fuse (it was a 20 amp!) and it was fried. changed it, tried the tabs, sounded like ****, didn't work, and fried the fuse again. ran the boat anyway (mistake-terrible ride!) and took the boat to the dealer, Nautical Marine in Richmond. turns out the ram was bad, and they replaced it at no charge. they work now, but are pretty loud when the boat isn't running. Thanks for the advise, it's real nice to have this resource for my lack of mechanical knowledge!

On a side note, I've been REAL happy with the service at nautical Marine. They return phone calls, explain problems, go out of their way to be polite and answer questions without making me look stupid (hard to do sometimes[grin])-- but most important-- they do good work in a very timely fashion and don't overcharge. In fact, they have done a lot of little PIA things for me at no charge. I obviously reccomend them hightly to those in the Richmond area.

Lee

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.