Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still somewhat new to this, although getting better at getting fish on board...one question, when trolling for stripers, seems to me the key is getting the right lure at the right depth (duh)...what do you guys think about using planers vs. weights (I'm using umbrellas, bucktails, etc, all the stuff everyone else uses)? How do you figure out how deep you are going w/planers? Weights? Anyone have any idea how deep a #1/2/3 planer runs behind a boat going 2-3 knots?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
If you bmail me your name and address I will send you a copy of the lure depth vs. weight and distance out chart that Capt. Billy Pipkin prepared for the Northern Neck Anglers Club.

In order to know how far out a lure is many charter boat operators mark their lines with colored thread at various intervals. For example I have mine marked every 30 feet with different colors eg. blue for 30', red for 60', yellow for 90' etc.

If you want to learn more about fishing in the Bay you might want to join the NNAC. Dave

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Several TF members have requested copies of the depth chart. Anyone else who might want a copy can Bmail me their name and address and I will send them a copy compliments of the Northern Neck Anglers Club.
Dave

·
Registered
861 Posts
Landerbain, pulling a # 3 planer will require quite a heavy pole. Lots of people use the inline weights with leader lines between the weights and the lure. Good luck!

Mushy

27' Judge
Chesapeake

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Hi Mushy. I hope you can get out this weekend. We need a couple of big ones weighed in at Lewisetta. By the way Russ Francis joined the Club.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Howdy Capt. Dave. Would love to represent Lewisetta with some big fish. I'm still getting a handle on the Fall season. Great to hear that Russ joined. He and his wife landed some nice fish this Spring. I would guess to say that he will be a contender in the tournaments next year. Nice people!

Mushy
27' Judge
Chesapeake

·
Registered
309 Posts
I normally stick with weights. I like the tandem set up with a mojo and small bucktail or the bucktail on the three way with a drop down. I run the planers for macks but I don't like them at the slower speeds for rockfish because it doesn't seem they bite in as well at slow speeds. So my planers come out mid summer and get put away before fall rockfish season. My next acquisition will be downriggers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts