Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get a running start on this trolling depths deal...if you are running sideon to the tide.... How would you start out your own rig with planers in trying to hit the 10 ft..15ft..17..ft..20ft.. And 25ft depths.. Using 40 pound pp braid say at a middle of the road 2.5 mph..with all of the 6 ft rods mounted up on top of cabin in the rocket launches...... .just looking for any ideas..thanks!!!

· Registered
2,590 Posts
If you're runnin planer boards I doubt your gonna get much deeper than 15 feet without adding so much weight that the lines are constantly pulling out of clips or popping bands.
A lot also depends on what you are pulling.....a large umbrella at 20 oz total weight will ride a lot higher than a 20 oz Mojo just due to increased drag.
Line length also plays a part.....the longer the line, the more resistance, the higher the bait rides.

A rough rule of thumb would be an ounce of weight for every foot of depth.

· Registered
2,626 Posts
I would say that if you start with a 10' deep lure; you're starting too deep for the spring season. Skip once told me that he believes that most people fish too deep. I made my spread more shallow and increased my hookups. In the spring, I run one side singles and one side tandums off the boards. I'll have my farthest (closest to the board) line out 100' with a one and a half ounce lure. Second line out 80' with the same size lure. Third line 60' with a 3 oz. lure. Fourth line 40' with 4 or 5 oz. lure. Fifth line 40' with a 6 oz. lure. Often, it's the two lines closest to the boards that get hit the most. In fact, you want those lines to get hit while you are putting out the other lines, or at least before you get all the tandums on the other side of the boat out.
In the fall, I fish just a tad deeper off the boards, and on some days, I could kick myself for not staying with the above spread. The four gunnel holders are run deeper (about 18-20 ft in the spring) to pick up those fish that have been scared deep because of motor/boat noise.
I'm sure others on the board who consistantly have more hookups can weigh in and help you more. Best of luck; 5th (Marty)

· Registered
656 Posts
Last spring my 2 most productive rods were, a single 9 inch umbrella with a 4 oz. chute back 100 feet run closest to the boards . All the board lines were 50lb mono except for the last rod closest to the boat which was 65lb Power Pro. The closest line to the boat on the board line was a braid line back 40 feet with a 6oz/ 3oz.tandem. Those 2 rigs always seemed to produce fish.
I used the boat rods (all braid), and dummy lines to get lines down 25 feet or more.

· Registered
1,094 Posts
I would say that if you start with a 10' deep lure; you're starting too deep for the spring season. Skip once told me that he believes that most people fish too deep......... (Marty)
I was talking to a fellow TF last Spring (his name escapes me at the moment) and we talked about going shallow. That morning the water was slicker than snot. He told me to run as shallow as I could when it's like that. Sure enough, I put my board rods right near the surface and within minutes I was getting hookups. The radio chatter that day didn't sound too hot for the others out there.

Hope this helps.

· Registered
2,262 Posts
IMHO I would let the boat rods cover those depths and try and cover "splashing the surface" to 10ft on the planer lines. Here is the formula my grandfather taught me and it is the most accurate formula I have found. I know some other guys on the board use it as well.

1 foot of depth for every 10' of line + 1 foot of depth for every oz of weight (at 3.0 knots)

· Premium Member
26,903 Posts
Think like a Rockfish for a minute.Here it is springtime and the water is somewhat clean ( in mid/lower bay).The upper few feet are warmer then down 25 feet.There is a lot of baitfish near the surface.You like it here until a loud,noisy boat comes along.You move left or right about 40-50 feet to avoid the boat.If it is crowded , you dive deep.

In spring- you'll do much better off the boards with lures near the surface.Braid cuts through the water very well and just the weight of the lure will pull a lure down deep.Next trip out- put a 2-4 oz lure back 10 feet (1 bar) and watch it run about 3 feet under the surface.That light lure back 100 feet is not on top like you think.

It pays to cover the water column - I like to mix up 2,4 and 6 oz singles back anywhere from 100 to as short as 30 feet off the boards.Once I get a few hits- I try to adjust the length of line out to match the "hot" rod.

The other side carries tandems- the heavier lure acts as a weight and will get the lures about 5-10 feet deeper.

If I had to pick one rig for spring - it would be a 2 or 4 oz single with 9 inch shad- back 45 feet :yes:.It is better to be too shallow then too deep since Rock feed by looking up for bait.

A light weight daisy chain (Warren's) is another favorite from the boards.I like it 100 feet off the far postion.

· Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts
I came across an very interesting website that might be of interest to you and any other newbies, like myself. Capt Greg Buckner has an excellent reputation for knowing how to troll for Rockfish and his website at Shore to Shore Tackle, LLC Home has one of the best "how to" sections I have found; look under the "Using our Products" tab. By the way, he recommends nothing but 50# mono, for the board rods, so as to keep your lures higher in the water column (like Skip says). I coupled what I learned there from a post on 11-7-2008 by 27 Sailfish (aka Skip) about a very basic trolling spread with boards. Good luck!...Don

Spynet (Dave) - I have made a note of your grandfather's rule-of-thumb depth guage; I like it. Thanks for sharing.

· Premium Member
12,555 Posts
Do like most have done here get a copy of Capt Wayne Morgans trolling setup or go see one of his seminars he's a master !!! Then modify his spread to fit your boat !
This will take years off the guess work for you ! Just remember COVER THE WATER COLUMN
Some of our biggest fish have come off the boat rods down DEEP don't be scared to run some rods deep in the spring you will be surprised :bigfish:
Here's one of my all time favorites I can't believe I'm sharing
Homemade down rigger on one side with 5lb weight attach a Cannon release clip to it
Take a 2 oz Shad Jighead make sure you use a jighead with a Gamagatsu hook with a 10" Bass Kandy Delight on one side use Chartreuse and the there down rigger use Purple or Opening Night color this has been a killer setup for many years :D
If you need anymore help feel free to ask

Best of Luck

Mike

· Registered
1,321 Posts
FWIW, I haven't trollled much in the last number of years and there are many others here who know a whole lot more than I do. That being said, I used to run some 50# mono in the spring to get the lure close to the surface. Did a lot of good with a huge tony or CA with 2oz inline WTFB. It's easier to get shallow with mono. I used braid in the fall.

· Registered
4,076 Posts
1 foot of depth for every 10' of line + 1 foot of depth for every oz of weight (at 3.0 knots)
Spynet

Can you explain this one a little more?

50' line + 4 oz would equal=9' +/-

Am I reading it right?

Chris

· Registered
547 Posts
Mojos

I noticed mojos did not get much attention, My most productive lure for the spring 0f 08was a 24oz mojo with a 16oz trolling sinker 6ft ahead of the mojo swimming at 75ft behind the boat. I place 9 inch fish(white and char) on my mojos. Every trip I caught fish on the deep lines from March 20th to April 30th. I will also tell you that most of my trips where afternoon trips with high boat traffic. I fish at Chesapeake Beach. I use 50lb mono right out the back of the boat. This only works with the big migratory stock. It has not worked well in the later parts of May. :rockon:Hope this helps.

· Registered
57 Posts
I have heard a lot about these mojo's, but have never seen any. can someone post a pic of what they look like?

Also, SPY, i agree with done workin that something doesn't seem right. If you take wayne's number 1 position, its 325 and 3oz would mean that its at 35.5' and this position is supposed to be the highest in the water column. doesnt make sense.

· Premium Member
26,903 Posts
One foot of depth for 10 feet is old school with wire line.That is line IN the water - not off the reel.Often there is 30-40 feet of line in the air- between the rod and the water.

Braid gets about 1 foot per 15 feet but mono is only about 1 foot per 20 feet.When you get alot of mono out- it will actually "float" upwards some.The bow in the line cause lures to run shallower.

· Registered
2,262 Posts
Skip is right. My grandfather only used wire line. I should have explained this a little better. I use that theory to START my boat spread for the deepest rod. I use inline weight to get my lures down. Example:

I'm seeing marks at 30 ft and want to get my umbrellas in the zone..I'll put 28oz of inline out 65 ft. That bait is in the 30ft strike zone depending on speed and current. Then I work back with more line and less weight alternating sides so that I know im working my way UP in the water column. The theory is for line IN the water like skip said.

· Registered
493 Posts
Covering the depths

Not all fish are in the first 10' of the water column. I do fairly well off my dummy lines, one has a 5lb weight and the other a 10 lb weight. They both have 25' of line from the cleat to the weight. My two close boat rods a 50 and 75 have double rigged umbrellas with at least 16 and 20 Oz maybe even 20 and 24. When the traffic is heavy, they are usually not on the top. My two cents.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.