Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trolling rods are rigged with 40lb mono, with 25 foot leaders (15" of 40# mono - swivel - 10 ft of 30# mono).
Is that enough for cobia trolling? If not, what's an adequate way to rig for cobia?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Most people sight cast or look for them near surface when targeting them, they can be caught on cut bait or while chumming. Where were you planning on fishing for them?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Target Ship and the Middle Grounds. I know guys are trolling with surgical tubes, I just don't know how heavy a rod/line their using.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I would use braid mainline of 50-80 lb., and 60lb. mono leader. 30-40lb is probably a little light for the power of those fish. Hate to actually hook one just to have it break off while leadering it!

·
Registered
45 Posts
They will eat a surgical tube but would suggest chunking or sight casting if you are targeting them. Leader should be at least 50, if not 60. They most likely won't chafe a 40 pound leader but nice to have the extra security around the boat especially if you are leadering a nice one while trolling.

·
Registered
210 Posts
My trolling rods are rigged with 40lb mono, with 25 foot leaders (15" of 40# mono - swivel - 10 ft of 30# mono).
Is that enough for cobia trolling? If not, what's an adequate way to rig for cobia?
I have never heard of someone catching a cobia trolling but not to say it does not happen. However, I have site casted for them. They are amazingly curious fish. They will sit on top of the water, and if you throw a lure over them they almost always take interest. The first fish I casted to I almost hit in the head and then started to reel in as fast as I could. The fish chased the lure right to the boat, sat there and would not bite anything before meandering away. The guide said he has seen it a million times they want action imparted into the lure, just allowing the lure to "bounce" 1-1.5 feet will induce a strike.

I say all of this as you may want to consider that when you are lure selecting if you think you are trolling. Something that shows action seems important to these fish.

We used 25-30LB braid and a 50LB leader I think. Spinning reels 12000 series

·
Registered
69 Posts
Def better off chunking for cobia. Make lots of noise! We always jump off the boat a couple times and the cobia would come close to investigate. They are not skiddish at all! Use fresh bait and change it often. Also fish hard when the tide is moving really well. Haven't caught many at slack tide. Good luck, you will know when you have one on, they run HARD. Have fun!

·
Registered
45 Posts
It is harder to catch cobia on the troll but you definitely can catch them. My uncle caught a 75 pounder trolling a few years ago.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Find the Sharks or big turtles and rays the Cobia will be either next to them or under them, sight cast with live bait, dead bait or bucktails.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts