Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey if you see birds diving on schools of bait that are most likely being pushed up by striper, please dont troll a straight shot through the birds. lol, tight lines

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
It takes a long time for people to figure out that you catch more fish for a longer period of time if you fish the edges of the school. Trolling thru the school just breaks it up and drives the fish down and off to some distance away from that spot. Of course, there will always be those that think that you have to be in the middle of the school to catch the big fish----wrong, they are most often out at the edge of and sometimes 50 or so yards apart of the school.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It takes a long time for people to figure out that you catch more fish for a longer period of time if you fish the edges of the school. Trolling thru the school just breaks it up and drives the fish down and off to some distance away from that spot. Of course, there will always be those that think that you have to be in the middle of the school to catch the big fish----wrong, they are most often out at the edge of and sometimes 50 or so yards apart of the school.
EXACTLY! And if you really do it right you can track the movement of the school and intercept the fish so by the time your baits are passing by they are in the middle of the school. its really easy track the birds and cut em off

·
Registered
544 Posts
You are better off fishing the behind a school as opposed to "cutting them off." The larger fish are lazy and typically found below and/or trailing behind schoolies. Just saying what I was taught and have found to be the case.

R

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
You are better off fishing the behind a school as opposed to "cutting them off." The larger fish are lazy and typically found below and/or trailing behind schoolies. Just saying what I was taught and have found to be the case.

R
Absolutely right and that is the same reason that the shot gun line is way, way, way, way back when trolling for stripers. :yes:

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Best comment I've read in a long time![/QUOT

Casting to the school works, however, you have to move with the school to stay within casting or jigging range; not to mention that you should still not go into the middle of the school before or during casting. Still, bigger fish are usually caught trolling or eeling under bobbers.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts

R
I troll too slow to keep up with schoolies . Rico- you are missing nothing so far this week.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You are better off fishing the behind a school as opposed to "cutting them off." The larger fish are lazy and typically found below and/or trailing behind schoolies. Just saying what I was taught and have found to be the case. R
Maybe just troll 2 or 3 lines amd a a giant oval around the school? We did that this past sunday and caught about 6 fish on one pass. idk so many different ways to do it and it all depends on the situation.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Last time out we were casting off the bow while trolling. Both produced fish. I try to stay away from the fleet, never had any luck with 100 boats near me.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I troll too slow to keep up with schoolies . Rico- you are missing nothing so far this week.
Glad to know but sorry to hear! Hopefully this weekend will be productive in the river... I will be entertaining a group up near Waterview.

Good luck rest of the week to all!

R

·
Registered
495 Posts
Last time out we were casting off the bow while trolling. Both produced fish. I try to stay away from the fleet, never had any luck with 100 boats near me.
Agree. This has worked well for us. On our latest outing, the casters on the bow caught half our keepers. Once we got away from the fleet, we found fish that were aggressive enough to feed right on top. A 7'4" rod with a topwater plug you can cast a mile was deadly when thrown to visible fish.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts