Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help a newbie out and start me in the right direction. Looking for articles and videos on how to setup and tricks and tips for trolling for Tuna and Mahi. Just trying to learn the ins and outs and become a better fisherman. Thanks in advance and Good luck to everyone this year!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
this YouTube link will give you a general idea of a tuna spread….however it’s important to incorporate skirted ballyhoos into your spread. Most common is skirted ballyhoo on your long rigger and flat line positions. Look for offshore seminars featuring captains who fish where you want to fish. Anglers Sports center in Annapolis had an offshore seminar March 12th where the top OCMD tuna boats presented. Keep a look out for that next year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lots of variables here. What size boat? Are outriggers double or triple's. Assuming you have outriggers and a t-top here is a start. Run small sea witches, islanders or chuggers off of your flat lines just outside of prop wash. Run a green or pink large spreader bar 10 yards behind prop wash from a center rod holder on transom. You will stagger your short riggers just past that. I use daisy chains or small spreaders (Sterling tackle) On my long riggers I run medium hoos with pink or blue joe chutes with hoo's. My t-top I run a wide tracker on each side or I run from my bow holders. I also run a waaaaaaaaaaaaay way back large joe chute that always catches. I have caught mako, marlin, tuna, mahi, wahoo consistently. Small BFT like stuff close to the boat. Larger BFT like the further baits. YFT hit stuff everywhere depending on the day. Mahi will hit your smaller baits and hoos baits. I run a 13 rod spread on a 30 foot cc with a center rigger and triple rigged outriggers. It takes some practice to make it look good. The seas also dictate the amount of spreaders vs meat that I run. If you ever want any questions answered feel free to message. I am not a charter captain but we catch most trips. You want variety some days they want meat some days they want spreaders.....

·
Registered
556 Posts
Check out Wahoonbox on Youtube. Marty had some great "how to" videos. You could spend weeks on watching youtube on the topic but nothing like going with someone that knows what they're doing. Go with them, and invite them on your boat.

·
Registered
Jimmy Witch's and Norfolk Canyon
3 Posts
Marty Is awesome! Message him he will send you some links you can find him on facebook!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts