Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty new to trolling. I used to troll for blues out of Sea Isle City, NJ when i was a kid, but i dont really remember much of that. I'm planning on giving it a go this fall. Now here's my question. When you actually get a fish on, how do you keep it from fouling the other lines that are out? I can only assume that you keep motoring. I experimented this summer with putting out a 4 rod spread, making sure i could make turns without fouling lures . I'd put the stretch way back, then deploy the other rigs. That got me thinking... if I actually catch a fish on the stretch, how do i keep it out of the other lines. Also, I'll probably be going solo for a majority of the trips. Should i throw it in neutral when reeling it in just in case i go over? Or, is that going to ensure that my rigs get fouled.

Any advice on a 6 rod spread with no outriggers or planers? I have 6 decent trolling rods (4 Senator's and 2 GTI's). I have made up a couple of rigs consisting of tandem white parachutes, tandem chartreuse parachutes, a big chart. umbrella with swim shads, a small umbrella with Storms, a Chart/Green Crippled Alewife with a 20oz bucktail rigged in tandem, 2 different color stretch25's and a couple of surgical tubes.

I'll be trolling mostly in the ocean from AC NJ down to OC MD. I typically fish the UB with light tackle, well north of Pooles... I dont think too many people troll up there though.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
We need a little more info: Are you trolling for the migratory fish moving down the coast in the witer months? Where are the rod holders positioned on your boat? Gunnel, hardtop, ect.

bill

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup... the migratory fish. I might try down below the BB too... launching from Sandy Point SP. The boat is a 20' GW Walkaround. I have mounted additional rod holders to the rails on each side. They are on a pretty shallow angle. I generally use them for bottom fishing, but I was thinking if i put my two 7' trolling rods in them, they'd spread my lures out a little. Here's a pic....

I also have 2 on each side mounted to the rails by the splashwell... Only one is shown in this photo. I attached a 2nd near where the holder mounts to the transom.

Other than that, there are 2 factory holders in the gunwales on each side. No hardtop.

I've done quite a bit of striper fishing, mostly jigging metal and bucktails, topwater and plastics... all using light tackle. I've done a little bit of livelining (eels & spot) around the outer wall in lewes & the inlets in Jersey. I've never really chunked. The one time i did all i caught was a mess of dogfish. I'm looking forward to learning a new method.

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Since you own a Grady- join the Chesapeake Bay Grady White owners club :thumbup:. Most of us fish and will be more then willing to share tips/tactics with you.

We meet tonight (Tuesday) at the Severna Park Boater's World at 6 pm.

Best way to learn bay trolling is to go on a charter (during the week ) or out with some TFers.It is not hard to do but takes awhile to figure everything out.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I normally run up to 3 (1port, 1 starboard and 1 stern) during solo missions from my grady or trojan. if its crowded the best thing is after you hook a fish mark it on gps, leave it in gear while reeling in the fish and try to get away from the other boats. also the additional current against the fish from the boat will decrease the chance of the fish shaking the hook. from my years trolling the chessie i found the other boats will troll directly in your path or across your stern while your hooked up to get into the action so the absolute best is to leave it in gear.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Leave it in gear...if you stop in the Bay with lines out good chance they are going to sink and hang-up on the bottom. Then you really have a mess.....

"When you actually get a fish on, how do you keep it from fouling the other lines that are out? "
Who cares? Reel the fish in !!!!!
If a 35" fish happens to tangle another line on the way in.....thats not a bad problem to have....
Most of the time you can direct the fish up an "alley" between lines, but sometimes they'll go up-down, side to side and just make a mess.....keep cranking !

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
It'll happen

The boat is moving 2.8-3.2 mph and PULLING the hooked fish with it.

The likelyhood that it's going to run across all the other lines is a factor of how you set your drag. I've never had that happen, not to say it can't..

Stretch, is a foreign lure in MD.. not many folks use them that I know of.. Caught my first trophy on one though and they are huge in VA. The stretch's action will be a non-factor when a fish is on.

Wouldn't run the stretch back very far though.. probably better running it off of one of those 7' rods off the side back 50' or so.

Be a HO, go out with the likes of Skip or Catman.. if you can afford a charter I recommend Capt Morgan.. has a 10.5 beam boat that you can apply to your boat.

This time of year, fish are schooling up in the mouth of the tribs.. tandem storms deep on bottom bouncing rigs will produce as well as most.

Nothing like trolling through a pod of breaking fish to get hooked up and some no so funny looks from the LT folks. If you must.. troll the outskirts..

Good luck..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"When you actually get a fish on, how do you keep it from fouling the other lines that are out? "
Who cares? Reel the fish in !!!!!
Good point. I guess I'm overthinking it.

I know a couple of guys who regularly fish out of OC MD... they both pul 2 stretch's and that's it! From what i learned while practicing, the stretch's go side to side all over the place. That's why i thought i'd just put one way back to keep it away from everything else.

Jalopy... there is an extremely good chance I'll take you up on that offer. I'll give you a buzz.

Skip... havent joined the club yet. Probably should though. I dont get down your way too often... that's the only reason (as lame as that sounds).

Thanks for all the replies

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
During the fall run, a good bit of the fish will be deeper than in the spring. There are as many trolling set-ups as there are anglers and it will take some time to hone your spread. The key in the fall is to find the bait, the fish will be there. Stick with tandem rigs and umbrellas for starters.......Personally, I would stow the Stretches......they can catch fish, but in my opinion, they have too much side to side movement, and can cause tangleing problems more readily than other baits. Cover the water column......if you troll with six rods, at a constant speed, you want to see each rod have a little different angle entering the water. If you find a certain bait/weight combo, hooking up fish, adjust a few other rods to match. REMEMBER......put the lighter baits out further and the heavier baits close to the boat. A good starter spread would be: Rod 1=300' out, small umbrella, 2-3oz bucktail. Rod 2=225' out tandem parachutes. Rod 3=175' out 1 lg. umbrella w/2 parachutes. Rod 4=115' out, tandem parachutes, 12oz inline sinker. Rod 5= 75' out tandem, make lure/in-line weight combination heavier than rod 4. Rod 6= 50-55' out, lg. umbrella with double parachutes, 20-28oz in-line sinker. This set-[up should keep you tangle free.

Bill

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
why no planers?

Is there a specific reason are not using planer boards? That would address 90% of the problem plus increase your chances for quality/quantity (Skip can hook you up on the boards) :thumbup:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there a specific reason are not using planer boards? That would address 90% of the problem plus increase your chances for quality/quantity (Skip can hook you up on the boards) :thumbup:
I figured I'd get the basics down first then maybe expand to planers or outriggers. I'd probably lean toward outriggers... I've never seen anyone using planers in the ocean. I have used downrigger weights tied to a clete with an outrigger release clip for bluefish. I've also used "shovels" if thats the right word for them. Didn't like those too much... wasn't down with pulling the fish in by hand.

As far as my "problems," I dont think i have any yet (emphasis on YET), just looking for general info on getting started and what to lookout for. Good advice so far... especially from smellslikefish. I've read your reply about a dozen times at this point. :thumbup:

Going down to NJ this weekend... If i cant find any birds or no pods in the usual spots, you'll be reading my report of the trolling attempt on Monday. :D

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Why in the world would you want to troll...wouldn't you rather go fishing?.......:D

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
In the bay, I troll 8 lines without boards or outriggers. You can keep your lines clean by adjusting depth and amount of line out. Of course this is easier to do with straight tracking lures like parachutes with soft platics that we use in the bay. Beach front you have to worry about blues so spoons, stretches, deep running plugs may be your best bet there.. Some may say I am nuts but you may want to run stretch 25's with spoons off the top of a 3 way. I have run this before with success. both run crazy but a 6' leader to the stetch and an 18' leader to a 21 tony pulls fine and has produced for me. Just keep the rig clear of other lines in the water. If you seperate enough from your other lines it will work.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why in the world would you want to troll...wouldn't you rather go fishing?.......:D
Dont get me wrong... I'm a Light Tackle guy at heart. There were a couple of days last winter where i couldnt buy a fish. :helpsmilie: No birds in sight, nothing jigged up at the usual spots, eels actually dying of boredom on the hook. Thought maybe this would be a good time to troll around the shoals hunting for that loner rock.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Thank God Timo....I thought you were from the Darkside we have enough of them....it is a good way to find fish though.......:D
Just takes some luck and some donuts..........

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
I figured I'd get the basics down first then maybe expand to planers or outriggers.
I took the same approach my first year (not to mention that I only had 6 rods). I did HO with Skip and saw how it was done on a grand scale. Then when I put my own out for the first time it was much easier than I had thought. I am in that category of people that will over think something and I could have kicked myself for not doing it sooner because I caught more fish.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
ok b-faithful i'll second that....your nuts, im not saying that it wouldnt work but who dreamed that contraption up....stretch spoon combo:eek2:that scares me thinking about it:D:D

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
ok b-faithful i'll second that....your nuts, im not saying that it wouldnt work but who dreamed that contraption up....stretch spoon combo:eek2:that scares me thinking about it:D:D
I was looking to get a spoon down a bit due to marks one day and left all my in-line weights at home. I decided to put a stretch just to pull the spoon down and we ended up with two fish on it that day, one went over 40" :D

·
Registered
332 Posts
If you are going to troll for big rock in the ocean, I don't know that you need either outriggers or boards. You look for the gannets, run up on the bait, troll the edges with a three lines or so, and if you are on the fish you will get covered up. You are not looking for lonesome travelers like Springtime Bay fishing. I've got outriggers and have not used them for rock out of Hatteras when I fish up at Diamond Shoals. Never been a need to. I use great big bucktails (160z) with black heads and black and gold 12 inch shad that look a lot like the big menhaden I find in their guts. Or a big Manns Stretch in black and gold. You can check the Oregon Inlet cites to see what others use. If you are down there in the winter, get a tuna permit and take along a big reel. You can never tell what you might run into. Coast Guard took this pic of me back in 2003. The rock weighed about 32 pounds (one of four we caught). The bluefin weighed a little less than ten times that much. Biggest fish ever put on the GOODDOG.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts