Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older model 14' Carolina Skiff and the water is very shallow in front of my place. Does anybody know if a 12 volt electric trolling motor would move it along. I saw a Minn Kota with about 40-50 lb. thrust and thought that would work so far as the shallow water. Seems if the boat is floating you could use a electric motor. The boat is pretty heavy and then you add a couple of people and battery etc. I know it wouldn't fly but would it push it along or would wind and waves negate such little power? I just want to use it to do a little crabbing. No trotlineing.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I put a Minn Kota (max. thrust for a 12 volt system) on my 17' center console. The idea was to use it around the creeks and marshes to sneak up on the fish. I also used it around Wachapreague to keep the boat in the channels. It works very well for such situations. Be sure to get a Salt Water model if you get one as the fresh water ones won't hold up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Capt. Dave.
This would be the only motor I would have on the boat so I would not be using it as a auxillary one but the only one. Think she would still move me along.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
i have a 35-40 lb trolling motor on my square stern 17' canoe. It pushes the boat along pretty good even with 2 adults, dogs and kids. it has held up well even if it is not a salt water model.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 17" Carolina Skiff with a 12 volt 55lb Minnkota Riptide with remote. I fish the Piankatank River , all around GI and out to Stingray. Great electric motor, pulls the skiff without a problem.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
I have a RipTide saltwater trolling motor on my 16 ft alum. duck boat and it works great loaded with a couple guys, gear and a dog. I use it in salt marshes and tidal flats to scoot around. Works great but I would want a couple batteries with me if it were my only source of power.

I use a 30hp to run to the end of the creeks.

VW

·
Registered
576 Posts
Kahunna,

I had a 42 lb thrust Motortguide bowmounted on a J16 CS and had no problems with it. It brought me home when the old motor seized 4 miles from the ramp (against the tide).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just ordered from BPS the Minn Kota "Riptide" 50lb thrust, 42 in. shaft based on all your very helpful input. I was concerned about the shaft being so long but it was the only choice on that model so I guess it will be OK. Now I have to get a good charger. Thanks again to all of you who posted and b-mailed me. Hope I can return the favor some day. Good fishing and crabbing to all and stay safe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts