Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone planning to troll for rock this winter? If yes, what outfit are you using to troll umbrellas, especially if behind a large mojo? Wire or braid? My 330LD doesn't seem up to the task, curious what others are using.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I like the shimano 800 tekotas for my heavy umbrellas and mojos. They are super smooth. They are level winds and do have a star drag system.

In my opinion they are much nicer than any of the Penn equipement.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Ive used the 330LD before and they will how up just fine...After a season or two of pulling heavy mojos and cranking on big fish the drag systems will start to fowl up a bit...But if its all you got for now you'll be just fine. The shimano reels typically hold up a lot longer and are a bit more expensive.

Capt. Jordan

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I use 330's with wire for mojo's

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
I bought some Penn 4/0 Senators at a yard sale... loaded with 130 lb braid, they're my umbrella rods.

·
Registered
670 Posts
345LD mojo's unbrelas and spreaders and 320GT's for tamdems and daisy chains and eveything else. Penn's are solid reels for the money and last a good long time. Shimano's are the bomb but, yur gona pay thru the butt.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
A 330 will do a fine job for what you are looking at. A 330LD will not, it's a hunk of junk out of the box. You can spend about $50 to get it in good working order or give up and start over with a different reel.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I use 320's for mojo's up to 32 oz. I use TLD 15's and 25's for umbrellas and 48 oz. mojos. This year after Santa comes I'm going to try a Daiwa Saltist 40 for all the above.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Two TLD 20 s and TLD15 for the lighter stuff or stretches. If I cant catch fish on 3 rods I wont catch them on 6 or 7. Ecspecially when it starts to get crowded after the holidays. If anyone wants to buy some used tomics cheap let me know. Also have some extra mojos to pair with them.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Man, I wish I would have seen this thread before now........ I have just bought and spooled power pro on 4 330LD's. Maybe I should turn around and sell them? I do have some TLD15's and a TLD25, and two PENN 245LD's that I use to chunck bait for cobia.
sam

1 - 15 of 15 Posts