Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went out of PLO with the idea of heading towards 70 and 72 but once I saw the waves I didn't think putting out boards and lines in a 17ft center console with 2 ft waves would be a good idea. Instead I tucked tail and ran up the Potomac to some more sheltered water. Got the boards and lines in with no incidents. Due to a late start I missed the morning tide and did not pick up any fish but did mark some bait around the mouth of the St. Mary's River. I stayed in the general area I saw the bait and waited for the tide to switch. No sooner after the tide switched picked up a nice 40" on a deep 12" umbrella. Since it was pretty cold out and I had my over fish, I decided to pull it all in and head home.

This fall has been the first time I have used planer boards and I think they are great. I got a nice cedar set from Evil Dic. They pull straight out and I do not think they will ever flip! Thanks to everyone who has posted their spreads it has really helped me put fish in the boat. Weather permitting I hope to get out there at least one more time.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Hey Grizz! I was on base yesterday with my daughter who was selling her candles at the craft fair. Evil had a booth there as well and he was really selling the heck out of his new line of tackle. He mentioned that you had a set of his boards. Lucky you got a set before they were all sold! Christy

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.
6,189 Posts
Pretty fish :yes:, and may you bring many, many more over the rails. One note of caution when trolling alone. Keep that thought in your mind, you're alone. Especially when you get busy fighting and landing a fish. When trolling alone and a drag starts screaming, before I ever get to the rod, I'm reminding myself that I'm alone. That goes double when reaching for the net. Sorry for preaching. Glad ya had some success :thumbup:.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Nice Fish!

Awesome fish Grizz! Glad you found them in the river. It was a bit snotty when we launched yesterday AM. Managed to get one 36 in the boat for Mark's visiting buddy. Hoping to get out at least one more time before it gets too cold for an open boat! Last time I trolled solo I just ran boat rods and managed a 40. Didn't want to fool with the boards because even with 2 guys on board it can get tricky. Glad you got the boards.:thumbup:

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Virgil: Very true, sometimes you get caught up in the moment and forget that no one is around to help you. You really have to take it slow.

Wayne: We should try to combine efforts and go after some big ones before it get to cold. You have to see these backward Evil Dic boards in action they pull straight out and are very stable.

·
Registered
502 Posts
happy you got a good fish, don't know about the Potomac but seemed from radio chatter and our day (one good fish) fishing was a bit tough north of PLo to 70 or so

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
wtg gd,

nice feesh. :clapping2::D

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
340 Posts
Hey what happened to "Evil Dick" I never see his posts on the board. I used to enjoy his informative post and wish he would continue.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Evil Dic is no longer on Tidalfish. He had his own forum for a while but I think he is done with that for now. It sounds like he is spending most of his time making tackle and fishing.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Grizzdog

Good job on making due with plan B and pulling a 40"er out. :bigfish:

We ran out of PLO marina yesterday morning around 6:30 and once we got to the mouth we were getting bounced around some but not to bad. Started in SW of buoy 70 and made our way north of 72A for the day. Got 3 for our efforts all off the port planer board and the 140' line and same lure each time. Glad to hear you have had good luck with the Evil ones boards.

Yesterday was our first time running boards and I am convinced that we would not have got those fish if we did not have them out.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep sure is a jack. She is 15 weeks old and bosses the lab and golden around. They are a handful!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts