Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out of PLO with the idea of heading towards 70 and 72 but once I saw the waves I didn't think putting out boards and lines in a 17ft center console with 2 ft waves would be a good idea. Instead I tucked tail and ran up the Potomac to some more sheltered water. Got the boards and lines in with no incidents. Due to a late start I missed the morning tide and did not pick up any fish but did mark some bait around the mouth of the St. Mary's River. I stayed in the general area I saw the bait and waited for the tide to switch. No sooner after the tide switched picked up a nice 40" on a deep 12" umbrella. Since it was pretty cold out and I had my over fish, I decided to pull it all in and head home.

This fall has been the first time I have used planer boards and I think they are great. I got a nice cedar set from Evil Dic. They pull straight out and I do not think they will ever flip! Thanks to everyone who has posted their spreads it has really helped me put fish in the boat. Weather permitting I hope to get out there at least one more time.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Nice fish! Congrats!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Congrats on a nice fish. Sounds like you did everything right. The Bay was choppy yesterday morning, but laid down during the day. Is that a Jack Russell in the fore ground? Take him with you next time. He'll be glad to fight the fish for you!

Mushy

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep sure is a Jack Russell. She is the next boat dog, but it was a little to cold for a 14 week old puppy.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Good catching Grizz.......I have a friend that just got a set of boards that he says are evil dicks. Do you have a picture of one of them you could post, cuz what he described to me just don't sound right.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will take a pic and post it when I get home this evening. His boards are "backwards" compared to most.

·
Registered
223 Posts
yep that's what he said. Thanks. Do you make spot traps by chance. I think I might have one of yourz. Would still be interested in seeing that board ??????

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep I make spot traps, haven't made any recently but might make some this winter. Here are some pics of the boards. The eye is on the long board. I think he just reversed the angles on the front of the board. They run great couldn't be happier.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Planer Boards1.JPG

was turned on to these by CaptnRon9151/Savannah Kay....design is from Downtime Charters. been pleased w/ how they work.........there's nothing like making something that works good from a pile of parts and pieces!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Question for Grizzdog

I have tried every spot trap configuation I can find on the Northern Neck and I still can't catch more than a couple at time. Is there a special bait concoction that you use or do you place them at a specific depth, on a specific bottom, out of current, during a full moon, while holding a Nati in your right hand?

Just a little frustrated so far.

Thanks

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Frozen chunks of chum seem to work the best. Normally they are in about 4-8 feet of water of different points of the pier. A Nati is very key to the whole thing working though...very important.

What spot trap design are you using? Mine have a 4 funnels and are 24" x 24" and 10" deep, modified from a pinfish trap I saw in FL.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Spot Trap help

Grizzdog,

We have two traps that we bought from castnetworld.net "JUMBO SIZE
FISHERMAN'S JUMBO PLUS BAIT FISH TRAP" These are probably the pin fish traps your saw in Florida. We also bought 2 traps from RW's that are not as tall but wider and have 2 funnels.

We have tried chum, frozen shrimp, smashed up crabs, whole bunkers, fish carcases and dog food. Still we only catch 2 or 3 in each trap after waiting hours or even over night. Our expectation was at least 10 to 20 per trap after an hour or so. Our kids have a better catch rate using small hooks and nightcrawlers! Since it takes a dozen or so spot per trip, either my patience or my beer runs out before we catch enough using hooks and crawlers.

At one pont I bought a gill net and tied it on the side of our dock. I caught a bunch within a minute, but freeing them from the net was a bad scene. Didn't try that again.

We have plenty of water at the dock, averaging from 2 to 8 feet. We are at the mouth of Cod creek off of the Little Wicomco.

I would like to see your traps and techniques to see what the heck I am doing wrong.

Thanks for your help!!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Would agree with the poor #'s of spot in trap, However we don't have any deep holes of water in our pond. Lucky to get 3' of water on high tide. I was told that the spot traps do best right at the sun/shade line under docks ? Don't know how true it is as we are usually fishing while sun moves across the sky. We did find a Huge trap about a month ago on a dead loooooooow tide. Someone seems to have forgotten it. It was very much like a large minnow trap. About 4 feet long and round. Had about 2 to 3 dozen deads ones. Will try this spot next year and see if it produces any better #'s for us. Would also like to get #'s of spot to try some live fishing bait next spring.......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts