Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried trolling an umbrella rig Wed. with no luck, can someone tell me the best way to troll these lures with success. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I run mine way back about 60' to 70'! One Chartruese and one White and one down the middle about 45' (White or Chartruese depending on which one is getting bit more)

Restricks running Stretches. Here is a rig I use which has been very successful. Learned it from the guys up the Bay. The Key has been the Stinger Hook on the back. You do not mis many bites with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
You can add and in-line torpedo sinker if the fish are deeper in the column too. We have used anything from 8-32 OZ.
Evan.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I run mine way back about 60' to 70'! One Chartruese and one White and one down the middle about 45' (White or Chartruese depending on which one is getting bit more)

Restricks running Stretches. Here is a rig I use which has been very successful. Learned it from the guys up the Bay. The Key has been the Stinger Hook on the back. You do not mis many bites with it.
Where do you buy that umbrella rig at it looks like a nice setup.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
The inline Sinker is not needed with the 4 OZ Parachutes on each end. You very how far back to the depth you want them run or use different weight parachutes jigs. These at 50' at 2.5 knots are about 25' to 30' down.

I have tried them with inlines and had them tangle with my intermedite baits. The up the river crowd has tested and tested and found they run best without inlines. You use the different weighted Parachutes on each end and line lengths for getting deeper or shallower.

Larry Bmail me!

·
Registered
581 Posts
We have had the best luck this year running them on top with no additional weight added wfb. If you feel you are getting more bites on the bottom, then just run it off your mojo using a 3way. This past tournament we ran both with good bites on both. If the bite is slow, I usually run our VA style umbrella with hooks in all shad. With a hot bite, I run our eight shad tease with the hook in the trailer. You dont want to end up with a fish on every hook. When running them off the mojo it is important to wind the line up a little more than you usually do as the weight of the umbrella with sink below the mojo. You dont want it dragging on the bottom. Hope this helps.

Larry...That rig is mainly used by anglers in MD where you are only allowed two hooks per rod. They seem to be very effective up there and down here. Although I do not have that rig on the site, I can put it together for you at minimal cost if you want one. Just shoot be an e-mail to [email protected]

Jon
CustomOffshoreTackle.com
Offical sponsor of the 2007 Mid-Atlantic Rockfish Shootout

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have not pulled an umbrella yet, Think I might need larger gear, currently have Penn 320GTIs, how big of a reel do you need? I am thinking TLD20 or TLD25.

What do you guys suggest?

Rodger

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I use TLD 25's for them but also ran them on the 320's. The Lever drag ones do not hold up as well as the star drag ones I have found. Went threw several drag on the lever drag ones.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i prefer to run the umbrella off a treble to a mojo, as i really dont want that much line out while around cape henry. i troll the X patterned rigs, but has anyone trolled the rigs with 6 arms?

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
i trolled the umbrella rigs with 6 arms this year and last. I put 6 6"storms on the outside and 6 4 inch storms in the center with a 9inch trailer in the back. You'd swear you were dragging a 55 gallon drum behind the boat using a tld 30 when you reel it in but it does raise the fish.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
In the spring and fall its all umbrella rigs and tandems for us. The rig in the pic is a fantastic rig. we do ours with 9- 6" teasers and 2 4 oz parachutes. you can vary the depth with the amount of weight used on the chutes. no addl weight is needed. THE LEADRS MUST BE THE SAME SIZE.. This same topic came up on another board This is some of the discussion.....................I wrote this

I had someone ask how to attach the shad and chute swivel to the frames without fouling....here ya go....

....I played with that last year. You cant use the cheap umbrella rigs. the ones that have no offset on the end.
The frames we use in this rig have the offset. out of the box they are too "open". Put your swivel in the round part and squeeze HARD to close the gap.

You can also "wire" that section. On some you may have to bend the wire in the opposite direction to get it to fit right. that will keep the chute swivel where it should be. the shad snap swivel swill go on the inside part and slide up to the loop.

The shad are attached as usual to the snap swivel ( these are Rosco), the chute leaders are 80# and crimped with a 1.0 double barrel crimp.

they wont get twisted, THE LEADERS MUST BE THE SAME LENGTH. these are 18". depending on who Im making them for 18" is standard. Some guys run them a little longer up to 24".

the key..as with any umbrella rig is how its put in the water...Lay it in the water and get it where it is running right. Keep your thumb on the spool as you keep letting line out. you want a tight line when setting the rig.

These are DEADLY in the fall when the fish are schooled up. Not as many doubles in the spring but it gives you twice the shot. its not unusal to catch two at a time on this setup. but when you do...you know it!!

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
This is how we make ours......shoot me a BM...I will answer any questions you have about these rigs. We use them alot

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
gREAT LOOKING RIG SURFPERCH, I MAY GIVE THAT A DUNK NEXT TIME I AM OUT. ALSO GREAT ADVICE ON THE STINGER HOOK. I KNOW I HAVE MISSED A FEW WITH OUT THAT. BY THE WAY, I HAVE BEEN RUNNING 6 SHIMANO TEKOTA 800 REELS THIS YEAR. NOT BAD FOR UNDER $200 AND THE WORK GREAT ON THOSE BIG RIGS.

ROCK CRUSHER
257 SEAFOX WA

1 - 15 of 15 Posts