Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to troll with eels? I figure either using an inline sinker or a fishfinder rig. I have heard from a couple people that it works well. Do you troll with eels in the ocean also? I don't think an ocean giant would give up a nice eel snack. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
In my opinion i don't troll with eels i either drift or anchor up and cast upcurrent of pilings or structure and let them drift back towards the boat. Trolling with eels seems to much of a pain considering they would tangle up and cause a problem. Again its just my opinion and others will agree or disagree.. I have had great success drifting eels and anchoring.. good luck and let us know how you do...Brandon

·
Registered
335 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience trolling eels but I've picked up a few fish doing it over the years. Quite simple actually.... inline sinker of 4 to 8 ounces depending on what your speed is and how deep you want them.... troll... wait for fish! I'm usually drifting them these days when I can... which never seems to be enough.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have trolled with eels. I use a wire line rig and attach it to a 3 way. Ihave 12 to 16 ft. of 50 to 80 lb. attached to an 1/8 ounce bucktail(with 7 or 8/0 hook)with the eel hooked in through the bottom lip and up through the top lip. Then I have 3 to 4 ft. of 30 to 40 lb. mono going to the mojo or weight. I tried this 2 years ago after being so successful drifting eels. I figured that if your drifting sometimes up to 2 knots then why not toss one out when you are trolling. It does work. Even if your eel is dead you can still troll with it cuz it still appears to be swimming. Good luck if you try it. GIL

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
tin squid - thats what its properly called ? Someone was asking me the other day if I know what a eel "harness" rig was called ......is that something else alltogether yet ?

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Yep! It is a Tin Squid. I keep the eels that I have left over from Cobia fishing in the summer, rig them with hooks but not the tin squid and then freeze them on a flat surface. When ready for trolling for the stipers, just thaw and rig to the tin squid.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The dead eel on a tin squid makes a very good trolling bait and more often than not can be re-frozen after you've fished it.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
When trolling your eels other than fishing the ocean how close would you troll an eel to the bridge or other type of structure or would you stay away from a bridge and or tunnel island rocks. What is the preferred method?

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Stay from the pilings around the bridge, too much chance of a snag and loss of the rig. Okay for use over the tubes and in open water.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you rig a few like in South Paw's pic, you're not gonna want to to many chances on losing it. That's an open water bait for us. Around the pilings it's hard to beat wire lining with a simple bucktail to produce fish. It's work, but it produces.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Finfur, that is a very helpful Eel Rigging article. I'll try it on my next batch of left over eels.
Also good thread with useful tips.

Charlie
On the "Ms Cait"

·
Registered
379 Posts
Kill 'em fast

Eels are hard critters to kill...freezing takes to long if you don't have the time (to kill 'em and then thaw 'em)...the absolute fastest way to kill them is put them in a ziplock bag (get most of the air out) and run the bag under warm water...they'll thrash around a little and you'll know when the deed is done. Wipe the slime/sludge of 'em and rig away.

:devil2::devil2:

Sean

1 - 15 of 15 Posts