Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Greg Buckner of the Miss Susie does. We go out with him every year, pre-season, diong bjust that. He usally using mid range Penn reels and pulling single bullethead parachutes,from 4to 8oz. The trick is being able to run at the right speed to make it work.:thumbup:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I do it in the summer months with good success its very popular on the great lakes walleye and musky fishing
here on the bay I use storms parachutes hoses and spoons . I use #1 and #2 planer boards on some and 2 - 6 oz weights and weights
I love it ,I also use all my surf reels on light rods also .
my friends laughed at me until a couple of years ago we were moving around
slowly looking to live line and I casted out a storm and bang bluefish thru it back out got bit off . we never did live line that day
and had one of our best summer days striper ,bluefish , mackerel

I use Penn 550 ssg and tica on 6-7' med rods but I also have a array of cheap diaws on 4-5' that I bought from George at Tyler's and have had no problem with them

9ball

·
Registered
112 Posts
spinng reels

yep i did it up in the choptank this year and i caught about a hundred fish each and every day, took the trolling rods off due to we were jigging and livelining and doing the miday when it go hot we went to trolling, just rigged all the lures up with 10 foot of fluro and bang there sometimes all 10 rods went down, mainly using just1/2 ounce andrapalas with the small diver lips on them, green and silver and plain gold worked real well.:rockingreport:

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Check with TFer Francis he is into light tackle trolling and has posted quite a few times about it. Try doing a search of his posts, good info. Not sure he uses spinning reels. But after reading his posts I tried it a few times during pre-season and used Penn 6500 spinning reels with 20 lbs. Power Pro and 60 lbs. leader on a heavy action 6 1/2 foot rod. Caught a few fish, but got away from it due to the extra landing time required for C&R. I ran single 4-6 oz. chutes with no weight off the boards.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I often use a couple of Penn 4500's, small bait (buck tails or small 4" to 6" spoon) double stacked of my downriggers. I usually pull a small diameter umbrella rig off the ball and about 10 feet up I stack the light gear, running it about 15 feet behind the umbrella rig. The reels are spooled with 65# PP.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Francis has it down. Check the videos section of my website.
good info there worth reading I will have to try his crankbait buck tail double rig .

I lived 10 yrs in canada and trolling spinnig tackle is the norm
I enjoy the fight when I am by my self I troll 4 rods
when I get one on I stick the boat in neutral and fight the fish I would rather catch one fish like that the skip 10 to the boat on big tackle

9ball

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Francis does a great job of trolling light outfits off planers. The video shows mostly conventional reels, but I'm pretty sure he also using spinning outfits in his ultra-spread. The light tackle plug/bucktail combo is something I brought over from the freshwater side.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Francis does a great job of trolling light outfits off planers. The video shows mostly conventional reels, but I'm pretty sure he also using spinning outfits in his ultra-spread. The light tackle plug/bucktail combo is something I brought over from the freshwater side.
Shawn, Gonna give your bucktail/plug combo a try this spring, just curious, how much leader do you use to the bucktail and plug?? I'm assuming you run the bucktail as your top bait on a longer leader?? When I tried LTT last spring I just used a single 4-6 oz chute with a 9" shad, leader was about 15'. I ran 4 of those rigs off the boards mixed in with my heavier stuff. What plug would you suggest since I'm putting them off the boards?? I was thinking of something that would run maybe 15-20 feet down, what do think?? Thanks

Sam

·
Registered
943 Posts
Spining outfits don't have the wenching power of a Conventional outfit.
So as long as you troll slow and without to much drag in the water and you stop the boat(as most of us do) when you're on.
It will work.

Les

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Shawn, Gonna give your bucktail/plug combo a try this spring, just curious, how much leader do you use to the bucktail and plug?? I'm assuming you run the bucktail as your top bait on a longer leader?? When I tried LTT last spring I just used a single 4-6 oz chute with a 9" shad, leader was about 15'. I ran 4 of those rigs off the boards mixed in with my heavier stuff. What plug would you suggest since I'm putting them off the boards?? I was thinking of something that would run maybe 15-20 feet down, what do think?? Thanks

Sam
Sam, run the bucktail on a very short leader, 6 inches or less off the 3-way and 23-36 inches above the plug. Use a floating fat-bodied deep-diving crankbait (Bill Norman lures are perfect) and a lighter bucktail. 3/4 oz is my favorite. I sometimes tip the bucktail with a porkrind striper strip. Might be better to run on way backs than boards because they foul sometimes. I highly recommend them when the fish are on the ledges. A 22' deep diver will run close to 30' deep with braid and the bucktail attached. Doesn't matter and often helps when they're digging the bottom. I've had some very good reports via my website this fall from fishermen using this method.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts