Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the typical trolling speed for stripers ? or is there a such thing . :helpsmilie:

·
Registered
846 Posts
Thanks, I am planning on trying some trolling this fall. I have been slowing adding lures and rigs to the arsenal. Stretches, mojos, bunker spoons, tomics, and umbrellas! Now if you are trolling down current, do you slow things down a bit?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
When I'm going against current, I take it down a notch. Next spring I'm getting a paddle wheel hooked up, which will indicate the true speed of the lures.

By the way, you shoud have at least one tandem setup and you may want to throw a daisy chain in the mix.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have a GPS speedometer so what I am moving is boat speed with or against the tide.

·
Registered
72 Posts
As slow as you can possibly go.....and then tap your brake often or hit neutral very often....you can't go too slow
unless you're backing up...........

·
Registered
223 Posts
question in a question... What's the general opinion on trolling speed ? Speed over ground or speed over water ? Which number would you watch if you had both at your disposal ?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
speed over water, that way no matter if you are going with against or across current you can keep a constant presentation of your lures

·
Registered
131 Posts
Copy of a recent post on the Chesapeake thread really helps to explain the SOG vs GPS speed question.

GPS speed is your speed over the ground. Paddlewheel is your speed through the water.

The current (tide) will affect your speed on the GPS-more when going north or south then east or west.Picture a people mover at the airport-if you walk with it-you go faster but if you were to walk against it-you would go much slower.The current does the same thing to your boat.Go with the current-your GPS speed may read 4 to even 5 knots.Turn around and go against it-your GPS may read 1.5 to 2.

Very tough to tell the correct speed with a GPS.The paddlewheel measures how fast the boat goes through the water-just like your lures.For Rock-2.8-3.2 MPH is good.

When it's calm and no current-your GPS and paddlewheel will be very close.Any other time and the GPS will be different.

·
Premium Member
26,103 Posts
Never hurts to watch a lure next to the boat for a minute to set your speed.Too slow ans a shad just wobbles-too fast and it almost spins.

When you change direction-you often will need to slow down or increase speed to ensure the lure is swimming correctly.

After a few trips-you'll get a "feel" for what is right.Watch other boats- you want to be going about the same speed as the ones hooking up :thumbup:.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
To reduce speed to the 2-2.5 knot desired, I had to result to a couple of sea anchors. I tie one on each side approx 1/3 of boat length forward of the transom and let it trail back where I tie it off at it's rear end and fasten to the rearmost cleat. It would be nearly impossible to raise the anchor from a moving boat without the rear line. You can get them at RW's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Copy of a recent post on the Chesapeake thread really helps to explain the SOG vs GPS speed question.

GPS speed is your speed over the ground. Paddlewheel is your speed through the water.

The current (tide) will affect your speed on the GPS-more when going north or south then east or west.Picture a people mover at the airport-if you walk with it-you go faster but if you were to walk against it-you would go much slower.The current does the same thing to your boat.Go with the current-your GPS speed may read 4 to even 5 knots.Turn around and go against it-your GPS may read 1.5 to 2.

Very tough to tell the correct speed with a GPS.The paddlewheel measures how fast the boat goes through the water-just like your lures.For Rock-2.8-3.2 MPH is good.

When it's calm and no current-your GPS and paddlewheel will be very close.Any other time and the GPS will be different.
:confused: Wouldn't a GPS be a more accurate way to maintain your speed. With a paddle wheel, if you are going 2 knots against a 1 knot current, wouldn't you only be moving forward at 1 knot? :scratchchin3:

·
Registered
4 Posts
:confused: Wouldn't a GPS be a more accurate way to maintain your speed. With a paddle wheel, if you are going 2 knots against a 1 knot current, wouldn't you only be moving forward at 1 knot? :scratchchin3:
If your GPS reads that you are moving 2 knots and this is against a 1 knot current, your paddlewheel would read 3 knots, which is the speed your lures are moving.

If you want your lures moving 1 knot in a 1 knot current, you would want your gps speed to read 0 knots, as actually you would just be maintaining position as the current rushed by, giving an accurate paddlewheel reading of 1 knot.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Slightly different trolling question.... whenever it stops blowing and everyone rushes out there I am sure there are going to be a ton of boats out there trolling....
How far back do you guys troll your rigs? I have had several cut off by boats crossing and cutting over behind me and such this year....

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Slightly different trolling question.... whenever it stops blowing and everyone rushes out there I am sure there are going to be a ton of boats out there trolling....
How far back do you guys troll your rigs? I have had several cut off by boats crossing and cutting over behind me and such this year....
your not deep enough, unless they are literally with in normal conversation distance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts