Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rain never worries me when fishing the bay (only wind and lightning) but I have never run a trot line when raining. I wouldn’t think it would matter at all (especially pots and traps) but I would like to get other opinions before I spend a day wet and trying to trot. The possible problem I see is the crabs jumping off the necks before I have a chance to net them because of two theoretical reasons;

1 – the sound of the rain hitting the surface of the water
2 – the lower salinity of water near the surface when raining.

Is that crazy? Does anyone run trot lines in the rain? Where are my commercial friends?

Thanks,

·
Registered
14,263 Posts
Never had a problem crabbing in the light rain. Wont go if heavy rain predicted. Crabs have been dropping off the line but that is typical early crabbing. Nothing to do with rain or salinity. No really they hide under your boat to get out of the rain. Good luck...... Gary

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Rain is ok as long as its not a heavy rain, crabs don't care they are already wet!!

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Always crab in the rain , (trotlining) some of my best catch days were in the rain. my trotline boat had a top on it, & i have good full rain gear,boots, hat , gloves, etc

1: overcast, seems like overcast conditions result in better catches.
2: I catch more crabs on overcast days
3: less people on water, & ramps, less crowds, more room.
4: no Sun=not as hot outside, especially in mid summer.

A few years ago, I was crabbing a local river in the early fall in the rain & was doing well & nearby was a skiff with 3 guys in it, working traps, none had rain gear & by mid morning when I stopped to talked to them they were soaked & cold, & had about 2 dozen crabs, one of them was grousing that his partners did not want to leave until they caught a bushel (they had come from PA). I felt sorry for them & gave them enough crabs to almost fill their basket. I thought he was going to jump in my boat & kiss me. he was so happy to be able to quit & head home.

bottom line. crabbing in the rain has always been very productive, but be prepared with good rain gear, waterproof hats, boots, gloves. if you are wet & miserable it is not fun.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Always crab in the rain , (trotlining) some of my best catch days were in the rain. my trotline boat had a top on it, & i have good full rain gear,boots, hat , gloves, etc

A few years ago, I was crabbing a local river in the early fall in the rain & was doing well & nearby was a skiff with 3 guys in it, working traps, none had rain gear & by mid morning when I stopped to talked to them they were soaked & cold, & had about 2 dozen crabs, one of them was grousing that his partners did not want to leave until they caught a bushel (they had come from PA). I felt sorry for them & gave them enough crabs to almost fill their basket. I thought he was going to jump in my boat & kiss me. he was so happy to be able to quit & head home.

bottom line. crabbing in the rain has always been very productive, but be prepared with good rain gear, waterproof hats, boots, gloves. if you are wet & miserable it is not fun.
^^^ What RJ Said!!!!^^^^ It's really kind of peaceful on the water during a light rain, cloudy day. Heavy, thunderous days are a different story.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

Rich remember the day down at Len's you pulled up and i had half a basket or so of crabs swimming in the back of the boat waiting to be culled?:hysterical: Didn't stop em that day and it was raining pretty good..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts