Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run a 1200' trot line with bungee snoods every 4'. I often pick up and relocate to other spots on the water, a back breaking event. I use a plastic 55 gallon drum cut in half, I pull the line in and spin the drum. I have a large hose reel and a heavy duty air hose reel but I'm afraid to use them. Does any one use anything like these item ,if so please post opinions and pictures. thanks

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
It was suggested on this board, other than a line puller, is just to neatly stack it in a bucket, I use a cooler, and do the following:

1. DO NOT try to coil it, just evenly stack it across the bottom of the container.
2. When you deploy it make sure you pick the line STRAIGHT UP and then feed it in to the water. The key to avoiding tangles is the straight up part. Dragging the line across the rest of the line is what causes the tangles.

Not being able to stack a staright line without tangles I created a spool and roller that worked well.

Not believeing the suggestion above (STUPID ME) I tried it last year with a snood line and was able to lay my trotline line while steering in the dark with absolutley no problems.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I prefer to just coil my line into a plastic rubbermaid tub, I've tried the hose reel and ended up spending an hour getting it untangled. Just make sure when your pulling in your line you lay the line on one side and the baits on the other, I rotate every 15-20 baits

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
CORRECT, a hose reel is fine for a straight line but with snoods, once the spool starts revolving and the snoods start flipping, it only gets ugly from there. Don't even try it.

Stack it it neatly in a tub or bucket and keep it from shifting. I cut a piece of aluminum, others have used plywood, to lay on top of it to keep it from shifting around during transport. You can even put a brick or something of weight on top to help with shifting.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm in Chicago now for the next month or so. I have many versions. A pinch roller style with 2 lawn tractor wheels and a geared down gas motor off a cement mixer. The one I bought from a man in Rock Hall - a truck windshield wiper motor. The hydraulic type driven off the power steering pump. And a couple made from wheel chair motors I got off Ebay. You can take a look when I get home, Jim E.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm in Chicago now for the next month or so. I have many versions. A pinch roller style with 2 lawn tractor wheels and a geared down gas motor off a cement mixer. The one I bought from a man in Rock Hall - a truck windshield wiper motor. The hydraulic type driven off the power steering pump. And a couple made from wheel chair motors I got off Ebay. You can take a look when I get home, Jim E.
Jime

Are you selling line pullers? I would be interested in seeing what you have.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Not selling. Just a hobby. As soon as anything dealing with crabbing becomes "work", I have a feeling it will no longer be fun. I am willing to show anyone interested what others use, is simple, cheap, reliable, and most importantly works. Pulling a line by hand is no fun when tired and wore out.

My next projects must be an automated baiter/unbaiter and a more user friendly bait.

When I get back, I am willing to show what I've learned. Except for the pinch roll style, all the other styles are copies.

·
Registered
617 Posts
would love to hear your ideas on a cheap line puller that works if u think 1200ft is alot of work try pulling 4400ft by hand:wacko:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Not selling. Just a hobby. As soon as anything dealing with crabbing becomes "work", I have a feeling it will no longer be fun. I am willing to show anyone interested what others use, is simple, cheap, reliable, and most importantly works. Pulling a line by hand is no fun when tired and wore out.

My next projects must be an automated baiter/unbaiter and a more user friendly bait.

When I get back, I am willing to show what I've learned. Except for the pinch roll style, all the other styles are copies.
jime

if you could keep me in mind for when you get back, I would love to see what you use as line pullers. thanks [email protected]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts