Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guy's

I finally ordered my new boat; I went with a Carolina Skiff 2180DLX. I'm in the process of getting all my crabbing gear together and wanted some input. I’m having a new trot line roller made up and wanted to see what everybody else is using. I am also wondering how far out do you have the roller and how much do you drop it down or just straight out.

Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
656 Posts
Tim

It's been a very long time since I used a trotline, over 40 years, You never see them in the lower bay anymore. However paid for my first boat with one. Adjusted the rig until I got it right.

The positon depends on were you will be in the boat. Critical measurement is were the line comes to the surface. I used to steer my boat with the engines handle so needed the roller way aft and not too high so crabs came to the surface at easy dip net position. You don't want it too close to the boat either. Save enough space to get the net to the crab without banging the hull.

Also depending on wind and current the boat may not be exactly lined up with the trotline while running straight. So you need enough clerarence for it to let you adjust to conditions. My wood skiff had a long straight keel and tracked pretty good. New fiberglass or Alumimum boats are more likely to crab some. They are buit to go fast.

Made my own dip nets too, heavy seine twine with a ring in the bottom. not too deep. The crab is held in by force of the water and you scoop and drop in your basket quick. Baggy normal net was too slow to drop the crab.

Would be intrested in what the others have to say.

Boats

·
Registered
782 Posts
Back in the day I trot lined up in shadyside and deale maryland as well as here in va. ..I used a 2x 6 board attached to a hinge so I could flip it in when running.....But we made two blocks to support an old rolling pin we mounted between the blocks....utilizing the pins that held the handles on.....it works good...put two 30 penny nails up on the blocks in case the wind blows you off the line..you can make it as long as you need......or if you can use a bigger roller and a rod ...the crabs don't feel each bait go over the roller....they'll hang on longer...Like an ole mono spool or such.....
Sometimes they hang on and get thrown up into the air when they hit the roller and its funny to watch the driver in the stern of the skiff catching them like field hockey.....
But we also throw a bucket over on the corner to slow the boat idle as well as keeping the boat straight from any wind.....I aslo make my own net....BUT OUT OF stainlesss tie wire....so you can dip 10 -12 crabs before dumping into the sorting box.....without tangling....so you don't have to stop mid line....
I just made one for my crab boat....works well.....
Some just use a board and a couple 30 penny nails for guides but I like the roller.....
CATCHEM UP.......

·
Registered
229 Posts
Prop Stick

Here's my rig...I made it to fit in my rod holder. Since it's PVC I keep a spare on the boat in case I get up on plane and forget to take it out.:wacko:

I also made it so I can raise or lower it about 10 inches. There is a metal tube in the middle of mine for that purpose.

Attachments

·
Registered
782 Posts
I like that rig as well there dave.....never thought of the rod holder thing......I got 24 rod holders on my boat but they are usually full....but that would work well if I was just crabbing.....plus you can use it on different boats......nice work.....

·
Registered
175 Posts
Here is a picture of what I use on my 20' CC. The picture shows it riding a little lower than it usually rides because of some over excited passengers all on the starbord side of the boat!

Works well enough for me. Never have and nasty vibration that you get when the baits goes over the 1-1/2" or 2" PVC.

-D

Attachments

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Here is a picture of what I use on my 20' CC. The picture shows it riding a little lower than it usually rides because of some over excited passengers all on the starbord side of the boat!

Works well enough for me. Never have and nasty vibration that you get when the baits goes over the 1-1/2" or 2" PVC.

-D
That roller is pretty cool ! I'm trying to rig my 17' Parker with a roller as well . What is that thing ? Looks like a hose spool . I have 4 in-gunnel mounted rod holders and was thinking about the basic PVC rig but that roller is pretty cool . Any help from you guys would sure be apreciated .:clapping2:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just a little something that I out together while tinkering with a buddy's welder. As in all R & D it had a couple generations until I was happy with it.

The piece that is inserted is just a short section of glavinized (sp?) pipe that I ground notches into to lock into the rod holder. Originally, I built the entire thing from the galvinzed pipe but wasn't happy with the results. What you see is a hybrid of glavinzed and primed steal from scraps that we had lying around. I just take the spool off at the beginning of the season (the pipe that the spool is on is threaded) and wire brush and re-primer the thing to keep the rust at a minimum. It takes all of 5 minutes to clean up and check the welds.

The "roller" is a spool that used to hold electrical wire. A buddy of mine is an electrician and he gave me a couple to experiment with. The one you see is the one that worked.

Hope that helps!

-D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts