Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question;

How do you store your lines between uses? I use a plastic bucket with holes drilled in the bottom for drainage. Snood line gets de-baited and put away wet using the TF crabbers board preferred method of random placement and patting down every so often. I typically use the line every other week or so.

Problem;

Soft lay snood line develops fuzzy mold on it between uses. I don't really mind this but worry that it is deteriorating the setup or turning away the crab. Even with the top off the bucket I get this. Do I need to stretch out line and dry between use? I have tried pre-baiting and freezing but this tends to freezer burn the necks.

Thanks!

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,156 Posts
:D Scotty,
Undoubtedly the best way to store any line is to thoroughly dry it first, then place it in a dry place out of the direct sunlight. If it's wet and you have freezer room, that would also be good too.
Fuzz won't damage the nylon line or the synthetic sleeve on the bungee.
Be careful to keep rodents from attacking the tidbits that may be left on the line/snoods. They enjoy those scraps. Ants, mice, flies, etc. just love to browse on the rubber hose and sometimes the rubber in the bungee. Don't ask how I learned this stuff, but trust the experience.:mad: The nylon seems to be indestructible. Even the racoons leave it alone.:)
I have never had a crab turn down a freezer burned neck yet and tell about it.:D

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
If you can't freeze the line and it is unbaited, sprinkle salt on it. It will keep the critters away and also keep the mold down when put up wet.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
I stretch my line in the driveway until dry - if I get home early enough there's plenty of sun and it dries fast. As long as I keep the rows neat I can still get cars in and out.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Whenever I use my trotline, which isn't very often, I stack it in a cooler and rinse it thoroughly with fresh water as soon as I get home. Then lay it out in the sun to dry and then stack restack it in a bushel basket. I have had the same #5 loktite for about 10 years now. Even the rodents don't bother it much. Right now it's sitting in my shed in the basket and it's perfectly fine. If rodents are a problem, go to Lowe's and get a couple of glue pads and stick it around the basket:D

Chris

·
Registered
886 Posts
The Grey Fuzz

Scotty,
I get the same thing.... It seems like it grows most on the snoods that aren't quite clean so the best advice would be to blast it with a hose and drain as much as possible before storage. I leave it in the shed in a pail with holes with the lid off until the next use but I don't think the heat of the shed is doing it any good....

I don't think drying it in the sun is a good idea, the UV rays will rot it out. Storing it wet is no good, re-bait and freezing right away is probably the best bet but I'm too worn out, thirsty, and hungry to re-bait the line when I get home, I don't think freezer burn is too much of an issue.

My question is how long should a recreational crabbers snood line last? My line is now 3 or 4 seasons old and it gets used about 15 - 20x uses per season. About 20% of the snoods are blown out now(elastic is gone in places) so I'm on the fense as to whether to re-build the spent snoods or just start from scratch and build a new one.

Bob

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,156 Posts
Repair as necessary

With 3600 feet of snood line I have been replacing damaged snoods as they occur. It's much less expensive and faster than rebuilding. The nylon line lasts many, many years and it is the greatest investment, besides time.

About every third to fifth time I rebait the line I take the extra time needed to make repairs. Usually have to replace only a very few snoods. Some times the original snood can be repaired instead of replacing it.

I have extra snoods already made for replacement so it's only a minute at most to cut the damaged one off and install a new one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts