Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched from mono to 50lb test Spectra this year for trolling for Rockfish and have been having trouble with it breaking. Lost my second fish yesterday due to this and have lost some tackle as well. My rods have roller tips and I was wondering if the line is getting pinched because it is so much thinner than the mono. These breaks are not at the terminal tackle so I know my knots are holding. Anyone else had problems with this line? Should I go back to 40lb mono or step up to 80 or 100 lb Spectra?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
As you suspect...It's quite possible that the line is slipping between the roller and the guide frame and getting cut off. Check too see if you can pull the line to the side of the guide and get it to slide off the roller...this will tell you if that's the problem.

Also check the other guides beside the tip for the same thing...if they are not roller guides, check them for chips or cracks, they could be the problem too.

Last but not least...Do you hook your lures on the rod when stowing them? If so, where do you hook the lure on the rod at? The hook may be coming into contact with the line causing it to fray or nicking it causing it to break. Make sure your not hooking the lure in the rod guide itself...the guide foot is ok.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Might just be a bad batch too... but I would suggest checking your rods for wear points, and maybe switching to different rods if you have them...

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I've used 80 lbs Power Pro for several years and never had a problem. But some others have. Most of my rods have roller tips as well as roller stripper guides. But some others have. It's rare, but not unheard of to get a bad spool. I would check all the guides on your rods, braided lines are hard on them especially the cheaper ones. Also make sure your rollers are spinning free, doesn't take much corrosion to lock em up. One other thing to be aware of is the ultra violet rays from the sun will weaken braided line if left exposed. Hope you isolate the problem, losing a fish to tackle failure suxs.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Another thing is Rod position in the Rod holders.With Roller Tips,Make sure the Line is coming off the Roller and NOT across the Tip[side plates for the roller].If you have the Rods in angled Rod Holders,the Line may be getting nicked or weakened by the Side-plates on the Tip.Don't ask me how I know.:D [Mike]

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Another thing is Rod position in the Rod holders.With Roller Tips,Make sure the Line is coming off the Roller and NOT across the Tip[side plates for the roller].If you have the Rods in angled Rod Holders,the Line may be getting nicked or weakened by the Side-plates on the Tip.Don't ask me how I know.:D [Mike]
That's a good point too Mike!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Is it breaking on the same rod or on all rods? That should be a clue. I have some 30# ripcord that I'm (ashamed to admit) using that is over 10 years old. There's more to the story, but it's not important.....

I use magibraid spectra that I think is the best line going. Started having line break when I boated a fish. It turned out that when I set the rod down after grabbing the leader, the line touched a crack in the tip top and instantly cut the line. As long as I was casting and bringing in the fish it was fine; it broke when the line was pulled against the "top" of the tip. Use a pair of old hose and run them through the guides to check. Look carefully.

Also, spectra is supposed to (at least magibraid- and this seems to be true) be resistant to uv/weather damage.

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts