Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to catch stocked trout in ponds? I got a freshwater license and a trout stamp for Christmas and want to give the trout fishing a try. I remember fishing a trout pond a couple times when younger and think I used a small spinner like a Mepps spinner. Is this they way to do it? Are there better methods for fishing in the winter? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
TROUT

A small hook and nibblets corn for bait works well on stocked trout at times. If you're looking for more action you may want to try the spinner lures and sometimes they hit a small crappie jig well. I don't know what your regulations are there on lures and bait but here in some streams and ponds we can only use artifical lures with a single hook and no live bait.

mini moe

·
Registered
16 Posts
They stocked a pond called Lake Biggins here in Newport News VA back in November. I fished it about a week later and caught two rainbows on pink trout paste powerbait that you mould around the hook. I fished it on a slipsinker rig. I saw some other people catching trout with similar baits.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Small creek out near Roanoke I believe the name is John's creek that the members of the VAC fish. They catch quite a few 5 to 8 pound rainbows. It's strictly catch and release fly fishing only but who cares with fish that size! Muddler minnows work well.

Barracuda48

1 - 4 of 4 Posts