Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of getting the Trout Unlimited Colorado Pontoon at www.costco.com for $299, $200 cheaper than Basspro shop and $100 cheaper than Cabela's. Does anyone have any input, used any other brand like Creek Company, Outcast, and etc....

Any input at all would be appreciated! thanks.

Sammy[excited]

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have used a Creek Company on the richmond and upper james for years- mine is a roundboat, and I have always felt safe, even in fast water. took it to the Housatanic River in Conn, held up like a champ in fast h2o. It's like a lazyboy in the river! Tim

·
Registered
11,081 Posts
After looking at it on line,I don't see how you could go wrong for the money.It even has a mtr.mount for a small gas or eletric outboard.It will certainly be very stable.It all depends what you want to do with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input!!! It would be a great boat to have when the Herring, Shad Perch run begin...when does the run begin, early March?

·
Registered
707 Posts
i would say your best bet would be a small kayak for the river shad fishing. they will go through the water a lot easier than a pontoon. if space is limited check out an inflatable yak. i have even done some float trips in a small yak where guys use pontoons and liked my boat much better. yaks are much more versatile for this area

jmho.
mike

·
Registered
764 Posts
I've had a Dave Scadden pontoon for a coupe years now. I use it quite a bit for shad fishing in the Potomac. I also have a kayak that I fish out of. The kayak is good when I want to cover a lot of water. The pontoon is like fishing from an easy chair.

I would not want to try and row the pontoon any great distance against a current. The rear deck on my model is rated for up to a 3 hp motor so I could use it to cover water but that is not what it is really designed to do. But for floating a river or as a casting platform for fishing it's great.

Guy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts