Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well based on the windy weather report I decided to head down to VA and Turkey hunt on Saturday. Turned out to be a great morning. First light had a bird anwser me and start my way. Was only 75 years away when he all of a sudden shout up. Could not figure what was up when I saw the guy I was hunting with come walking up the mountain. Don't ask me what he was doing I do not want to cuss again. Went up to the top pof the mountian and out to the end. Just as I got to a spot I was going to set up on this big old brid let loose. He was so close I just sat down where I was at for fear of spoking him. Got out the slate and did a few soft yelps and he gobbled his fool head off. He came right in front of me an I could hear is every footstep but could not see him. He was just over the rise in front of me. He cirled to my right and walked right by be. Next thing I knew he was 60 yards away. I moved to another tree and truned towards him. I knew I needed to someting to get his attention since I figured he may have hens with him. Put down the slate and gave him a cackle with the mouth call. He did a big double gobble and came right for me. Gobbled one more time before he came over the crest at 20 yards. Nice bird with 10" beard and heavy at 21 pounds. Got some nice pics if I can ever figure out how to downsize them.

Ment to Turkey dinner.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Congrats Tony! Glad to hear it was worth the trip. Nice bird too!
I took a buddy out this morning who has never been before. Managed to call in three jakes gobbling at every yelp, cluck or cackle I gave them. I told my buddy it was up to him to shoot a young one since it was his first time out. He decided to shoot the lead bird after about twenty minutes of playing with them. The cool part was that I got it all on tape! Well, at least most of it. My head net kept creeping up on my eyes and the camo netting I had around my camcorder kept getting in the way, but it was the first time that I've ever tried filming a hunt. Playing the tape back almost makes me sound like I know how to use a mouth call! [smile]

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.