Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could I flood this forum with more "hey I'm going to the flats messages"?

Anyway, I'm going all day tomorrow... probably launch from Tydings around 10:00.

I know I can't beach on the government property, but can I beach and eat lunch (and stretch) at Fishing Battery or any of the other small islands?

4438543049 if you want to join me.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Had a great day. Never found the fish bunched up, but did manage 3 very nice fish. The biggest was close to 40"... need to wait for the film to be developed to figure it out better as I forgot my tape. I also cought a few dinks.

The bait of the day for me was a chartreuse/green crippled alewife. Every one of my fish came off of that, though I did have a breakoff with a jig/BKD.

Biggest fish I caught was east of fishing battery right smack dab in the middle of the flats. Also worth noting, every fish I cought except one of the smaller ones was AWAY from every other boat. When I was in the flotilla I was skunkin, and I didn't see a lot of fish being caught either. All fish caught on outgoing tide... fishing battery and North.

Got a long pedal and a good sunburn today. I launched at Tydings, headed straight for Sandy Point, fished around there for a bit, headed back north once the tide changed, and nailed my big fish of the day no where near any structure.

Special thanks to the boat that took some pictures for me since it's so tough to get a good pic of a great fish solo on a kayak.

This was my second fishig trip on this kayak. I'm afraid I'm going to get spoiled with this flats action.

And by the way, the shallowest parts of the flats do get to shallow to accomodate the draft of the mirage drive at low tide. I actually had to break out the paddle twice... the horror. The Hobie adventure paddles well, but I ended up lifting the rudder because I kept having to stop paddling to adjust it (plus it was very shallow). After I did that I was getting blown all over the place.

Hopefully I can get pics up of the fish tomorrow.

Josh

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ninja boat strikes again!

Good show!

Had the perfect opportunity to get out last night but my wife is a biatch sometimes..."you just fished 4 days straight blah blah blah", wasn't really listening.[grin]

Keep up the good work, I think the flatties will be around for a while, water temp never really surged, been holding pretty steady. From what I've heard this full moon is bringing another surge of fish in so the fat boys may be coming in force.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I may go on Monday... have the day off from work, but also a list of things that need to get done around the house.

... but hmmm... if I do one of those things each night this week...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Josh,

great job! I was fishing from a boat yesterday but most of the fish we found were out practical paddling distance. I definitely agree the big boys are very sensitive to boat traffic, especially in the shallow areas. can't wait to check out the pics!

mark

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I took a boat on Sunday and Monday. Sunday did very well, Monday didn't do that well at all. I'm seriously considering not towing the boat all the way there next time and fishing the really skinny water with the yak. The thrill of sneaking up on finning bubbas would be worth it, even if I didn't hook up.

Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot my sunglasses, and ended up spooking several very large fish that were sunning themselves in water less than 3 feet deep as the kayak got to within 10 feet of them. Scared the #$&* out of me every time. With some good glasses and an eagle eye, they could have been presented a fly or topwater that would have got my heart pounding, regardless of whether they took it.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally got some pics developed and scanned:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Josh how do you like that hobie, it is on my list for an anniversary gift. At 6'5" 230 lbs I am worried how well it will fish.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm 6'2" and about 220. I love it.

As you can see between me and my gear the back is low in the water... but it hasn't caused a huge problem. I can have following seas coming over the stern... but if being dry was your first priority you wouldn't get an adventure anyway.

I do have some water getting in the hull (about 10-15 cups after a full day on the water, which is too much but hardly the end of the world), which I have not tested to see if it is a hatch problem or the result of water getting in the rudder cable holes in rough seas. Hobie has promised free replacement upgrade hatches if it is a hatch problem.

If you make it to the flats armada on the 29th, or any other time and place where I am, you are welcome to take it for a test drive.

Josh

·
Registered
707 Posts
Josh -

You are tearin' em up brother. Send me some bmails if you want a fellow yak fisherman out with you. FishingRod and I keep talking about some saltwater ponds somewhere and hope to get out there soon.

mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm relatively new to this area as well to kayak fishing. These flats sound like I pretty good time. Can you tell me where they are located?

Everett

1 - 12 of 12 Posts