Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 200 v6 salt water series Yamaha starts fine and trolls all day no problem but when I am done trolling and put the boat in neutrel to bring in the boards the idel drops and conks out then when I go to put it in the slip fwd and reverse it seems like the idel is low and it will conk out if i dont kinda goose it . I have ED Millers # but I am trying to trouble shoot the problem and fix at Breezy without bringing the boat home. Thanks to all in advance

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Check anti syphon valve, fuel diaphragm(might be one of the lower fule pumps) & Carbs....good luck

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
If you have one, check the sqeeze buld. I have had them go bad..I actually had a replacement bad from the package..

·
Registered
274 Posts
It can also be the fuel recirculation system if it has one. If this system gets plugged, it allows fuel to pool in the lower cylinders which will cause poor idling.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I have twin '97 Yamaha 150's -- The ethanol fuel plays hell with these motors. Be sure your filters are fresh and check for water. I ended up taking all the carbs off and found out that the float levels were off as much as 3 MM on several of the carbs causing starvation problems just like you are having. Check all other possibilities first. If you don't have any experience re-building carbs, then get a pro to do it. To Lean a mixture will burn a piston and destroy the engine. I had the chance to fill the boat with non-ethanol fuel this weekend --- WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The EPA can KMA when it comes to boat fuels especially.
BTW--- My carbs had NEVER been touched from the factory setup.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
when it starts to go out on you have an extra person on board to squeeze bulb or you can open choke your self to diagnoss fuel issue. If nothing changes it's probably not your fuel assuming other parts of system are in working order. That might help. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I ended up taking all the carbs off and found out that the float levels were off as much as 3 MM on several of the carbs causing starvation problems just like you are having.
I had the same thing happening to me on a 50 hp carbed suzuki 2 stroke outboard. I did everything and even had the carbs off without checking the float levels. Finally, on my last ditch effort i got a caliper from harbor freight and checked the levels. My top carb was low by 4 mm and the other 2 were off my 2 - 3 mm each. I set the float levels according to the manual and been running trouble free for a couple of months now.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
same problem with my 40hp rude this spring. I felt like she wasn't getting enough fuel so I adjusted the idle screw on both the carbs a tad and it's been running great ever since.

·
Registered
453 Posts
You may want to take a look at Shipyard Island Marina section on Thehulltruth. I found a some good repair/troubleshooting info there before for my Yamaha. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
have you replaced the fuel lines since the boat was new ?
You might be pulling in air from a pin hole.The ethanol will do that to the lines.Put a temporary section of clear pvc in the line just boe the gas goes into the engine. If you are sucking air,you'll see the bubbles.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
26,247 Posts
I'd pay it safe and give Ed Miller a call.

Very likely he can explain how to trouble shoot the problem to isolate what is wrong in a few minutes.

He knows that motor inside / out.

Some repairs are owner friendly - others require a skilled mechanic.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have learned a lot about my 98 Evinrude over the years. One thing I learned from a similar problem turned out to be quite simple for me. My Evinrude (and not sure if it translates to your engine) drops to 3 cylinders out of 6 with the use of a simple plastic linkage. The purpose is to allow it to drop to 3 cylinders to place the motor in gear, than return to 6 as you press the throttle up. If that component is out of adjustment, it could lead to a problem similar to yours. I think the best is to seek a skilled mechanic out, or follow the trouble shooting steps from a service manual.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts