Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at my fishing log I saw that this week last year I had my "best ever" Yellow Perch day on the Tuckahoe. Couple that with Shawn's report and video from Sunday, and I was itching to go. So my regular day off (Wednesday) schedule included a trip to the Tuckahoe planned.

I arrived at the ramp in the town of Queen Anne about 8:30 AM and launched my 10' Bass Hunter/40 lb. electric troll motor. Again thinking of my 2010 success I went down river about 1/2 mile to some blown down trees (I tore'em up there last season). On the way there I snuck up on a small flock of wild turkey on a hillside near the water. Boy were they surprised to see me!

The river was high and muddy and running out hard. My drifts were really quick except when I got caught by the wind and spun around. Armed with a couple of micro-lite rods/reels (rigged with 4 lb test and a 1/64 oz. jig on one and a 1/32 ounce on the other). To each jig I added the new 1" version of the Berkely Gulp Alive Minnows. I fished the rigs under a foam bobber. Using a cast, twitch and retrieve method I didn't get a touch in an hour and a half. Perhaps I should have tried to anchor out there?

Cold and disappointed, I worked my way back upstream, making a couple of casts at various stops on the way back to the ramp. No action. I didn't even see the turkeys.

Not wanting to throw in the towel, I headed upriver from the ramp. Under the Queen Anne bridge, under the Railroad bridge and up to within sight the route 404bridge. I was out of the wind (although the current was still strong). Still I
couldn't slow my drift, so I deployed my small anchor. Thankfully it held the bottom well. This allowed me to stop drifting and fish out of the back of my boat. After a few minutes and a couple of bobber twitches I caught my first fish, a White Perch of about 7". I stayed there with steady action for a little over an hour. I didn't bail them by any means, but those perch (and the strong current) provided a nice pull on the micro lites. I probably caught 25 or so Whites between 5" and 8". They were all males full of milt. Right near quitting time I got a good tug and caught a nice, plump pre-spawn Yellow Perch of about 12". I caught fish like this by the dozens just a year prior. But today provided only 1.

It was nothing like last year, but I fished close to home, burned little fossil fuel and had some pullage. It was sure better than hanging the curtains that my wife asked me to.

:clapping2:
Boatron

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Good fishing, Ron. Glad to hear about the buck white perch. I think the yellow perch spawn was early this year. I've just been reading about YP this morning. Rudy Lukacovic recently condensed his YP mortality study and it's up on the Careful Catch website: http://catch.synergyinteractive.com/2011/03/yellow-perch-cr-mortality-update/

I'm hoping to get back on the Tuck next week. Thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Have to build you a mini set of planer boards :devil2: for your rig.

Sounds like a fun day - cool hearing about the Turkeys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts