Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out around 10am to the #7 area. Set six lines with side planers. Running all parachutes, chart. and white, no weight to twenty oz. Trolled between #7 and #5. Caught six nice fish all released and about 37 in. Every fish was caught across current. One deep, two mid, and three top. Sorry, not sure about distance back I haven't marked my lines yet. Ran in around 4pm. Great day with my new homemade side planers. Thanks to Capt. Dave for all the help.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Let me give you a little tip, thanks the NNAC Class during march and Captain Billy Pipkin, everytime the dog (i guess that the little thing that goes back and forth keeping the line in the reel equally distirbuted in the reel) goes to one side and back to the other side, one cycle, measures around ten feet per cycle. That should help meausure how far your lines are out. You shouldn't have to mark you lines unless you want to be accurate

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Fishdog, there is one thing that you need to remember in doing the line guide count. The amount of line that goes out reduces for each time the line guide crosses because the diameter of the reel spool shrinks.

For example with a full spool one time across may give you 10 feet out. After your 10th time across it might only give 8 or 9 feet. This is not a major concern, just something to keep in mind.

I think it is worth the effort to mark the lines.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I forgot to mention that, if you have reels that lacks a level wind feature such as a Penn Senator, you can estimate your distance out by doing a count down. Starting with the line that you want furthest out, count slowly 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, etc until you feel you have enough line out. Then on the second furthest line out reduce the count by several numbers. If you troll six line reduce the closest line's number even more. Use the same counts on the port side as you did on the stardoard side. Use little weight on the furthest lines back, medium weight on the middle lines and heavier weight on the closest lines. That should get you a spread that won't tangle too often.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I tried marking lines with sharpies, but on braided lines the colors can be hard to see, and can get by you fast. I have been using the level wind guide on the Penn 330's & 340's plus different weights, and have also tried counting seven seconds etc. Another method I have used is just holding the rod over the side and sweeping the rod from nearly staight aft to nearly straight forward and figuring you let out the distance from reel to tip doubled for each sweep. 5 sweeps with a rod 5' or 6' from reel to tip (i.e. a 6' or 7' rod) comes to about 100 feet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Each level wind reel is a little different and it does depend on how much line is on the spool. Here is what I did to figure out it out for each reel.

Put a tape measure down behind your hitch, hook your line to the safety chain hole on your hitch and what your bar move as you walk back. This will give you a good idea of what one bar move across the reel releases.

I found that you lose about 1 foot per 100 feet (10 passes). Hope that helps.

FISH ON! Petey!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts