Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Pards and Pardettes,

Who else but JTB and his daughter (screaming "I don't wanna go") would venture into the gale force winds for striper fishing. Armed with a half dozen shiners, a new brace for the trolling motor and a plan, we ventured from Occ 2 at about 2:30 PM. Immediately saw a zillion birds up by Occ 1 and headed that way. The TM wouldn't handle the wind, so we tried to make a wide circle up by the new bridge using the big motor and then drift back to Occ 2. Still tough even with the TM on and in the copilot mode.

Whew, what wind. Finally got it right and just let the boat drift through the zillion birds. Tried doing some casting, but too many birds kept picking up either my bait or the line - had to stop. Lots of broken up bait and many marks at 15 -25 feet. Finally, one dumb striper decided to gobble up a free line bass minnow. Daughter eventually landed a 25 1/2 inch striper. JTB got zip, but lost several baits. Tried getting the planer boards out, but couldn't hold the boat slow enough in the wind. Eventually decided that we could only handle two lines and the boat.

Guess the stripers were just circling between Occ 1 and Occ 2 as I've never seen so many birds all in one location. Some might question JTB about not being too smart as there was only one boat on the lake - the Neptune struggling in the wind.

For those more learned in striper fishing, the fish were there, the bait was there, and the birds were there. As we think back, getting one fish in the boat under the worst of conditions ( as far as I'm concerned ) says that we are learning something. If we'd had shad rather bass minnows, I'd be willing to bet we would have had a boat load of stripers even with only two lines out.

Wednesday is supposed to be just as windy. Maybe we'll try again. Charging the batteries just in case. We came close to being in the drink, but we even learned how to stay in a rocking/bucking boat! :) Still having fun even if my daughter isn't sure that she's having fun. Then, she actually caught her own fish! :)

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Don't do as I do, just read and chuckle!

Regards, Joy T Brew

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for a very productive report. Ya'll done it right that time for sure. Bait presentation sure means a lot. Keep at it padre and results will show up in a very short while.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Joy...not sure if you remember me, but I sat beside you and your daughter at the last meeting. Thanks for the report and glad to hear that you are starting to have some success. :fishing2:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Joy...not sure if you remember me, but I sat beside you and your daughter at the last meeting. Thanks for the report and glad to hear that you are starting to have some success. :fishing2:
Hi NC Buckeye,

Yes, and I think at the gill net survey too? My daughter's got a great memory to help me.

Went out again today, 11/26, and I only caught two foot long catfish. However, my daughter did the whole thing on her own and brought in a keeper striper. Only one, but that's enough as a snack for Thanksgiving dinner.

Still circling between Occ 1 and Occ 2 with lots of birds, today several jump boats and others having fun. Today, I could just let my trolling motor try to circle the activity. Planer boards worked fine with the slowed pace. But, the bass minnows didn't do much except for 2 catfish and one right size striper.

Nice day, and Thanksgiving day promises to be even better. Daughter says she'd rather fish than eat!

More later,

Regards, Joy T Brew

·
Registered
6 Posts
Trip Report for Joy

Thanks for the report, I say you at meeting and at gill net work day, and if you daughter can have that kind of luck maybe she won,t go back to Calif.
:thumbup:
Soddude

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the encouragement Soddude,

We decided to celebrate Thanksgiving on Saturday when it might rain. Not so much fun on the water with heavy rain, wind, and . . .

But, today was wonderful! Didn't have much activity after launch at Occ 2 at 2 PM until we reached the new bridge. Looked like a poker convention with all the boats. We got lots of hits, but decided that they were white perch for the most part. Actually caught one nice size. Haven't had one on the table before, so we'll see . . .

Decided to head back to Occ 2 about 4 PM and that's when everything got active. Had 4 throw backs and two catfish (3 & 5 #s). Daughter decided she likes catfish when beer battered.

Seemed like everyone above the new bridge was catching fish. Lots of birds above the old bridge. Then, that's the name of the activity - catching fish. Usually my daughter and I do fishing - little catching. We are learning a lot and there's more success each day.

Ha, ha, there's supposed to be a great day for fishing on Friday too.

Regards, Joy T Brew

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi All,

Tried again on Friday 28, but my heart wasn't into fishing. First, on Wed 26 I lost my digital camera somewhere between loading the boat to head home and . . . Then, on Friday, we got on the water and the planer boards weren't in their secure stowed location. Must have worked loose and blown out. Maybe on the water or travel home. I always suspect the puppy next door because he loves to grab things and run home to chew/play. He learned how to climb the platform on the rear of the boat and then jump into the boat. Smart dog, but a real pain in the ass most of the time.

I know it's the puppy and not my memory when I can't find things!

So, we circled around between the bridges without much luck and then headed back to Occ 2. Unlike the previous days, there were few birds and the activity didn't pick up in the late afternoon. Passed through schools of fish between Occ 1 and 2 without any takers. Possibly the fish catching was down near Goat Island. Or, was my bait presentation wrong, or did the stripers sensed my attitude.

No matter, it was a beautiful day to be on the lake. The trolling motor worked OK and the outboard is running OK (thanks to Sea Foam and StarTron and lots of new hoses).

Lots of boats in the area, so I don't think I'm the only one enjoying the activity.

Guess it's time to give fishing a rest for a few days.

More later,

Regards, Joy T Brew

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fishing report for Dec 2 . . .

Hi All,

The comedy of not so funny happenings continues. Stopped at Bobcats and took a look at the zillion bits of tackle and got new planer boards, and bass minnows.

Launched from Occ 2 and motored toward Occ 1 where it's rumored that the bait fish are an easy mark. I practised several days for the big event. On the way to the Occ 1, a boat was trolling across the entry. I tried to give a wide berth and pad a heavy price. I suddenly ran out of water for my motor and the rocks destroyed the prop. My goodness, the hole in the water where a fisherman puts money is hogish. Anyway, I didn't see any bait fish around the small bridge. So, disappointed, we headed back to Occ 2 with a dozen bass minnows.

On the way up to Occ 1, I noted huge numbers of broken up pods and many fish marks. After fiasco at Occ 1, we did the TM back down to Occ 2. Same situation with the bait fish and many fish marks. Had the lines out and soon had a 24 and a 25 inch striper on down lines. Wind was becoming a problem, as was the cold. I thought it was to be warm on the water. Went through many more deep broken up pods of bait along with many multiple fish marks. Circled, but, but no takers. So, we decided to make the boat shop and get a new prop ordered. Maybe delivered tomorrow. But, with my recent luck . . .

Certainly, not having shad for bait is limiting my fish catching. Bass minnows just don't seem all that effective. Then, there's Wed and Thur to try again. After that, got to get things ready for travel for my surgery.

Even with only two fish (daughter brought both in) we are still having fun and catching a few fish rather than just fishing.

This is my latest story and I'm sticking to it.

Regards, Joy T Brew

1 - 11 of 11 Posts