Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lower bay still is not producing consistent action on stripers even with only 9 days left in the bay season. You can catch here and there in the lower bay but the first place to find consistent action is at least 20 miles to the north and the farther north you go the better it gets. The eel bite is still way up north with boats trailering or making the very long runs to get in on the action. A few fish here and there around Cape Charles to buoy 40 but nothing consistent yet. One of the things on my mind with VSSA is perhaps asking VMRC to slide our bay season to the right giving up Oct and sliding it into January each year. We will put out some feelers on this topic down the road as we can't do anything for year as the bay season closes in 9 days. With these mild days continuing in the forecast the lower bay may not have much a season this year.

We did get into some schoolie action Tuesday, 12/22 by trolling small baits and casting at the same time. About half the fish were caught trolling while the other casting. Most are still 18 or 19 but did manage a limit from 20 to 23 inches. Caught about 50 in the afternoon after the wind laid down. Saw an old friend out there, Matt on the Rock Crusher who was catching as well.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Change the season!

The lower bay still is not producing consistent action on stripers even with only 9 days left in the bay season. You can catch here and there in the lower bay but the first place to find consistent action is at least 20 miles to the north and the farther north you go the better it gets. The eel bite is still way up north with boats trailering or making the very long runs to get in on the action. A few fish here and there around Cape Charles to buoy 40 but nothing consistent yet. One of the things on my mind with VSSA is perhaps asking VMRC to slide our bay season to the right giving up Oct and sliding it into January each year. We will put out some feelers on this topic down the road as we can't do anything for year as the bay season closes in 9 days. With these mild days continuing in the forecast the lower bay may not have much a season this year.

We did get into some schoolie action Tuesday, 12/22 by trolling small baits and casting at the same time. About half the fish were caught trolling while the other casting. Most are still 18 or 19 but did manage a limit from 20 to 23 inches. Caught about 50 in the afternoon after the wind laid down. Saw an old friend out there, Matt on the Rock Crusher who was catching as well.

Great idea on dropping the October season and adding a January season ! IMO it would work great in Virginia's northern portion of the bay. In October and even November we are going to Maryland or the Potomac for stripers and would love to have an opportunity to continue to catch in January as the fish move South. Thanks for the idea Mike!
Great idea on dropping October season and adding a January striper season for us recs. IMO it would work great here in Virginia's northern portion of the bay. In October and November we are going to Maryland & the Potomac for stripers and would love the opportunity to keep rock in January as the fish move south!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Mike whats your thought for Sat bud.Im game for whatever.Id think the tog would still be snapping as a backup.Whatever is fine,let me know.Weather looks favorable at least.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Sliding the seasons, That's a great idea Mike.
Nice job on the fish, sticking with that small group of birds and working those small bait pods paid off for us too. Nice talking to you out there again.....I've been missing just being out but catching is always fun too!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm probably gonna be crucified for this, but do y'all think that low catch rates this year along warm weather and with them moving up minimum size might be a perfect mix for a great next year or year after?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Great report Mike. Glad you got on some eaters. I love the fact that the big girls are still way north and the bay fisherman will be forced to catch and release them in 9 days. This is great for these breeders that get the sh-- beat out of them year round from north carolina to new england.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Thanks for the report Mike and like the idea of sliding the season, especially if we can keep the ocean season overlapping in January. Then we don't have worry too much about crossing that imaginary line when working those ocean schools as they move in and out, assuming they show up in future years.

Ccmayor: I am perfectly ok with some catch and release striper action. If we can get the menhaden fishery drastically cut back in the bay. I would be all for another catch and release striper moratorium for a few years to allow the stocks to rebuild.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts