Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to inner middle grounds on Tuesday to Chum for Cobia...fished both outgoing and incoming tides from 1030-130 and then from 330 to 6. Caught multiple rays and sharks. Was with a freshwater fisherman from the midwest so he was psyched. Used menhaden and live croaker. My buddy saw one cobia but choked (twice) when he tried to cast to the beast and just tossed the lure in the water at the boat...a sight fisher was close by and saw the fish leave our area and then went and caught it (it looked to be barely legal)...that was frustrating, but the sight fisher was courteous and did not encroach on our space...figure I will get them next time...had some BIG sharks on...and even had the rods bend twice and all that was on the end was a chafed up leader with the hook bitten off...80 pound test bitten through like it was nothing...we might have continued fishing but we hooked a sea turtle...called the VMRC and they put us in touch with the aquarium...we pulled the turtle on board and the aquarium came to the marina and picked it up...they sad it owuldn't bite me but I didn't give it a chance...about 50 pounds...

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Because a sea turtle (I think) is protected by federal law, and while I don't feel so bad about leaving hooks in rays ans sharks, something about leaving an 8-0 hook and leader in a sea turtle,,,the aquarium actually prefers you bring them in if you hook them so they can check them out...I called VMRC because they would be able to advise me on how they wanted me to handle the event...he was hooked in the flipper

·
Registered
544 Posts
Least if nothing else, they good give that fella a decent cleaning! Imagine how much quicker it will be once he's lost the barnacles and get a good coat of "turtle was!"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts