Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launched at 11:00 - figured to fish end of outgoing current. Tide was low - ramp slippery due to slime.

Went out to 15 feet and found Spot on meter. Put 10 in livewell - all small except one medium size. Wind was from NNE but not bad.

Went to bridge and set anchor upcurrent of piling - then turned engines to act as rudder to fine tune the stern position. Got it just right and took time to find the larger Spot. Was about to cast it and realized landing net was in cabin. Grabbed it and set it in cockpit.

Gentle lob cast and let about 10 feet of line go - then held it. Felt Spot swimming - then a thunk. Let Rock go about 4 seconds and closed bail. Rock pulled line tight and I lifted rod and reeled hard.

Need to keep drag locked and horse fish away from the pilings or line will get cut. Fish put its side to current and this helped as it planed away from bridge. Short fight and 23 incher in cooler.

Pulled anchor and went into 17 feet and found Perch. Used Spot strips on #4 spinner hooks. Bite was slow but nice sized Perch. Most were over 9 and the over 10 inches went into cooler. Got one at 11 and then a real nice one I thought was 12 but measured 11 1/2. Had a really wide body that made it look longer.

Current was slowing and breeze picking up as sun came out. Ran back in about 1:30. Saw dark clouds to south and road was wet on drive home but missed the storm.

Did have excitement on Rt. 32 where it crosses Rt. 3. Old mattress was in road and had to dodge it. I'll assume lost by someone heading to landfill at next exit. Called 911 to report it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nice report Skip,
white perch must be aggressive to take a spinner with cut spot combo.

Are you adding weight ahead of the spinner to get it down in 17’ of water with a current?

in the reserviors I use a couple ounces of weight ahead of spinner rigs to keep them down in 20’ plus deep water.

ACG

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Nice report Skip,
white perch must be aggressive to take a spinner with cut spot combo.

Are you adding weight ahead of the spinner to get it down in 17’ of water with a current?

in the reserviors I use a couple ounces of weight ahead of spinner rigs to keep them down in 20’ plus deep water.

ACG
Spinner hooks is what Skip uses. #4 is a little hook with a blade, not a spinner bait type. I'm sure Skip will answer your question.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Got it. Bottom rigs with spinner on the hooks. I had thought you mean a Mepps spinner and wondered how you kept it deep. Understand the rig now. Thank you.
ACG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts