Tidal Fish Forum banner

Tuna book

698 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Taz Lancaster 
#1 ·
I just got a book for my birthday. It's "Tuna: A Love Story" by Richard Ellis. It's about 300 pages and it already seems a little bit redundant, but there's great info in it about tuna behavior. Most of the research is on the tuna "ranching" industry and calls tuna "the cocaine of the sea".

I really asked for the book to help try to figure out why tuna will not bite my hook. The answer is not in there. Lots of other good info though. For example, my friends often ask if the fish I catch-and-release actually survive......like I care (just kidding, I care). Anyway, the author talks about the evolution of the ranching industry and how the commercial guys got away from hooking tuna to put the into the pens and start using the purse seines, partly because it captured higher numbers of tuna and partly because the HOOKED TUNA DIDN'T DO SO WELL WHEN RELEASED INTO PENS.

Anyway, it has answers to alot of questions I have been asking. But then again, I probably don't know as much about tuna as you guys.

I'm dying to go tunafishing.

#2 ·
Hey Kayak,
I've not read the book you're referring to but always looking for some winter reading.
I was also recommended to me that I read "To Catch a Tuna" by Capt. Al Anderson.
I was told it has a lot to do with helping to understanding tecnique.

Good luck,
GScott

#5 ·
Rudrows best book for offshore fishing is called Offshore Pursuit, pretty much tells you everything you need to know to catch pelagics off the east coast, with pictures and diagrams also. Really good stuff for a beginer to read, I let all my buddies read it when they want to go fishing on my boat, It lays down a good foundation for all aspects of offshore fishing.

Offshore Pursuit - The Book - Offshore Pursuits Premium Tackle - Detail

#7 ·
Man I have been tuna fishin for long time my best advice is KISS ,,,simple sea witch, blue and white my fav. a spreader bar and a hawaiin eye --find bait marks and/or structure and pound it out and lighten up on leader and drags accordingly also Flourocarbon is great and never forget sharpen your hooks I black mine out w/ a sharpie to. You will get em

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.