Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or should I not be alarmed that a marina charged me $20 a peice for spark plugs in a tune up on my Honda 225's? Thats $250 for spark plugs!

·
Premium Member
26,103 Posts
OUCH - I thought $4.00 each for my Yahamas was high.

Spark plugs are simple for the do it your selfer.Take one out and write down the number - then order them yourself.$20.00 is really high unless your motor requires something special.

Most places add 15-20 % to parts.Never hurts to question an invoice.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Tell them to keep the plugs and put them in yourself. No brainer. What is the name of the shop? You aren't slamming them, you are stating facts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They may be special

I think the plugs they put in are iridium or something like that. Don't ant to state the name of the shop at this point. I'll talk to them and see what the respons is. Maybe just a typo or something weird.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I'm not familier with the price of outboard repair but.......Are you sure that $20 ea. is Only the part price or did they ball the part and labor price together for each plug?

FWIW.......Being an auto mechanic, I have paid $12. apiece for plugs for certain cars......If I worked at a shop like Goodyear, Mr Tire, ect (which I dont, but have) and plugged $12 into there standard mark-up schedual, those $12 dollar plugs would cost roughly $20-$24ea.

Just for the record, I work for myself and put minimal mark-up on parts.

Bill

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Plugs for my 135 Opti were $15 a piece. Had not been changed in two years so I bought a set a few weeks ago. Started pulling them and they all looked great. Checked the gap and put the old ones back in and took $100 worth of plugs back.

·
Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com
1,109 Posts
NGK IZFR6F11 SPARK PLUG #4095

I recall my friend had a Evinrude 225 and had the same complaint about cost of plugs... I looked up that part number above (fits Honda 225) and it looked like it retailed for around 15...Discounted on the Internet for around 12.... The price sux, but it might not be the total fault of the mechanic if 12 were installed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts