Tidal Fish Forum banner

Turkey First Day. Any luck?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  earlyriser 
#1 ·
hunted in my neck of the woods all morning. heard one hen, no gobblers. My friend heard one but the turkeys were pretty quiet. The woods were loud and windy and sound didn't carry very far.
I think that I would have rather had it be rainy and cloudy. I did spook a hen as I was walking out and saw a lot of sign. They are there, they just didn't appear to be talking, or maybe they didn't like mine.

Anyone else have any luck.

#2 ·
Our luck was kinda the same. We heard two differrent birds gobble but with the wind it was hard setting up,got too close to one and never caught up with the second after we heard him.

However, the hunt wass a great success. My six year old can't wait til next Saturday. He actually was doing the calling when the second bird gobbled.[excited][excited][excited]

#3 ·
Hunted down by Charlottesville and had a great morning. Got into a bird at fiorst light. Wrorked him until 0815 when he came in wioth another gobbler. Problem was that after over an hour trying to get the bird in I got oc=ver anxious and shot to soon an missed. Stepped it off at 42 yards. I was really stupid since he had finally commited and would have come closer I just got impatient. Oh well. After the miss I walked the mountain eventually coming back to the morning spot. Low and behold I had a bird sounding off in the same area. It sounded towars the bottomn of the mountian so I moved on down trying to get closer. Well I didn't go 50 yards and jumbed two birds. I am sure they are the same two I missed in the morning. They apparently were walking down the mountain away from me giving me the impression that they were father than I tought. Great day anway. Also had a really ig grey fox come into my cal and one set up.

#4 ·
Been listening to a old bird all week with plans on introducing myself to him this morning. Got up and was there ready before light. I waited & waited & waited & waited. Must have had his tail feathers wet because he didn't say a word. Just about all the reports I have received have been the same.
Bubba[angel]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.