Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the longs post, but hoping to get some advice so need to tell the whole story.

Got out turkey hunting Monday and Tuesday morning. Tried a public spot on the Eastern Shore of MD that I scouted once or twice before the season opened.

I didn't find any birds Sunday night so Monday A.M. I went in the woods without much confidence. After a mile or so walk along a firetrail I found a spot i liked on the edge of the road....figured the edge would be the best shooting. It was a few minutes still before legal shoot time so I let out a couple soft yelps with my box call. And to my suprise I got a reaction. A bird (i think a Jake) gobbled right away. I'm guessing he was still on the roost since it was still early. I waited a few minutes and hit the box call again. Again the bird gobbled. And this time he gobbled probably 5 times. But it didn't sound like the bird was moving. It was still roosted I think....about 100 or so yards from me. FOr the next hour this bird was talking to me and eventually worked its way to within 50 yards of me, but I never got a look at it. And for some reason the bird just stopped talking. So I waited for a while and eased out of the woods and figured I'd set up on it Tuesday morning.

I tried it again Tuesday and it was like dejavoo. I went to the same spot, set up, hit the box call, then the bird gobbled again. But only a few times this time around and I never heard another gobble all morning.

Kicker...about 80 yards from the truck on my walk back the edge of the firetrail was all ripped up --- a solid 20 yard line of scratching that the birds had taken down to nothing but dirt. They had to have done this Monday afternoon or first thing Tuesday morning. Guess I was in the wrong place/wrong time.

As an amateur, I'm wondering what any seasoned turkey hunters would have done different than I did. In retrospect, I'm thinking I should have used some decoys, or maybe moved in a bit closer to the bird once I heard it gobbling on the roost. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I'm new at turkey hunting too Jim. I have only killed one it was about 3 weeks ago. I used one hen decoy and it did the trick for me. It helps to keep them focused on the decoy and not you and they want that hen mostly, and it gets them closer to you. Good Luck.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Once you locate the bird on the roost set up and stop calling! Once he answers you, be quiet. He knows you're there. Once he hits the ground, be ready. If you keep calling at a bird on the roost, you're finished. Don't know why, but it never fails.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
live and learn i guess.

i definitely did call (or i should say overcall) to that bird while it was on the roost

thanks for the tip

1 - 5 of 5 Posts