·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PUBLIC NOTICE
MARYLAND DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES
FISHERIES SERVICE
SUMMER FLOUNDER RECREATIONAL FISHERY SEASON CLOSURE

The Secretary of Maryland Department of Natural Resources, pursuant to Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) 08.02.05.12E, announced the closure of the 2008 recreational fishery for summer flounder in all state waters effective 12:01 am October 24, 2008. The National Marine Fisheries Service has estimated that Maryland's 2008 recreational quota for summer flounder has been achieved.

The 2009 Maryland recreational fishery will open January 1, 2009 under conditions outlined in COMAR 08.02.05.12.

John R. Griffin

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
That damn Ida Mae done caught em all:D Seriously though, how many people are fishing for them and how successful are they. This dont seem possible.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
That"s fatefull!!!! Day

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I see a lot of disapointed Trick or treaters with bags of bull minnows and squid

I got a stick of gum
I got a popcorn ball
I got a candy bar

I got a bag of dead minnows wanna trade for this rock

·
Registered
394 Posts
My method for keeper flounder. Catch a flounder, any size. Find a blacktop crew with a good roller. Have the roller pass back and forth on the flounder until it meets the minimum size. Bonus, if they are spreding hot asphalt it will be cooked.
fishboy

·
Registered
981 Posts
This is probably the only thing that cant be blamed on the commercials since they cant keep them.
Wrong. Flounder are routinely caught and kept by commercial fisherman in the Bay. If it swims in a pound net, they will try and sell it. Sucks that a flounder caught any other way than hook and linining has a 14" size limit.

Summary of Maryland Commercial Fisheries Regulations

However, the commmercial fishery was closed 9/14/08

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
We took two shots at Cornfield this year, one in August and one in September. We did everything right, were there during the right conditions, and did not catch one legal flattie. My wife caught three undersized flounder while we were catching spot for bait the first time, and she cagught one the second trip, also while we were catching bait. I didn't catch a one. Our number will come up next year! :yes:

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wrong. Flounder are routinely caught and kept by commercial fisherman in the Bay. If it swims in a pound net, they will try and sell it. Sucks that a flounder caught any other way than hook and linining has a 14" size limit.

Summary of Maryland Commercial Fisheries Regulations

However, the commmercial fishery was closed 9/14/08
----(However, the commmercial fishery was closed 9/14/08)

---Shows someone is doing thier job in both fisheries--Comm. & now Rec.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
What exactly does this mean? are the waters off OC MD closed after the 24th?
Yes they are . Here is what Captain Monty Hawkins has to say about it and I agree with him : Fish Report 10/23/08Et Tu Fluke Counters?Going Cbassin'Toggin' Too Hi All,A joyful celebration of this year's flounder season is in order. Kind words, remembrances of a few good days; perhaps a tip of the bottle as my Irish friends would have it.Our flounder season is dead. The official estimate of the Marine Recreational Fisheries Statistics Survey, or MRFSS --say murfs, and try not to say it with unkind inflammatory words or exclamatory interjections that you wouldn't otherwise use in gracious company-- MRFSS is the only estimate allowed to be used in management decisions in this fishery. Period. Lawsuit tempered.MRFSS sez Maryland's caught over 66,000 summer flounder, and that's that.Dang. 66,000 fluke. That's a fair many. I missed it. My clients missed it.Apparently, everyone else on Maryland's coast missed it too.
Not MRFSS though. Slick rascals. We were only allowed 60,000. Over quota by mid August it would seem. DNR was right to take action; to close the season. They had to.Still, when in the Billy Blue Blazes did any one throw those kinds of numbers on the dock?I've been trying to find out. Called and emailed everyone I could that's in the bottom fishing industry here. They gave me their catch numbers through the end of August - the period when MRFSS sez we killed 66,000 flounder. All of us together, ocean and back-bay boats, professionals with thousands and thousands of clients not catching their 3 fish limit: 1,318 fluke.Not a stellar year. Weather, water; sure didn't happen offshore.Of course we're not the only fishers, not by a long shot. Lots of the private boat guys are as trained ninjas when it comes to their flounder fishing.So I put together an estimate based on info from a few not-for-hire highliners. Through the end of August - 25 boats -sharpies- the gear heads; 558 fluke lay iced in the cooler. Still a long way to 66,000 -- 64,124 to be exact.I know there's a lot of boats. I know there's a lot of shore effort. I know the Chesapeake has a fishery too - with a 1 fish creel limit.The for-hire landings times 50. That's what it would take to cross the threshold. Somehow, somewhere there's the equivalent of 50 more party and charter boat fleets out there - fishing everyday. I know when a fisheries survey person comes aboard my boat that the data they gather is rock-solid. More perfect than what I gather everyday.Converting that hard data into the far-softer whole state's catch...Must be some of that fancy here-now physics string theory alternate universe stuff.
Ah, betcha they laid them boys off that were working up the numbers on those mortgage-backed securities.Make 'ol Albert Einstein blush, it would.Tell you strait-up; I think its Bad Science. The smelly barn-yard sort of Bad Science.Its also Buck-Shot square in the north end of a south-bound captain.Here's the good news. We're going to take the fishing pressure off flounder, a stock at populations never seen off coastal Maryland, and put it on sea bass and tautog, whose numbers aren't in such an envious position. That's some clever management...Its not MD DNR's bad. They are doing what they think is right to protect next year's quota. The fed writes the rules.
But DNR does have a lot of data feeds. Maybe they'd use some of that to make a case to have MRFSS reexamine their numbers. We have a while before the weather breaks nice enough to do some serious fluking. Maybe someone back-checking the input over at MRFSS will find a misplaced comma. Like 6,600 fish instead of 66,000.If only DNR weren't as broke as their fisherman....... Going everyday the weather will let us. Target sea bass; catch them too. Some keepers even. And - when the weather's right and the bite is on, we're going to tag some outrageous sized flounder.A few long trips for tog too. Creel limit opens back up to 4 come November. Hunt some jumbos. Tag some of those too I 'spect.Special trips will be announced with my next email. Promise. Might even have a special fluke tagging trip.Regards,Monty

1 - 20 of 27 Posts