Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wild Bill and I talked on the phone early last week and said when the weather was good at the CBBT we were going to drop everything and head down. We did just that. I had a cold from the week before, but with the conditions were just too good not to make it happen. So along with loading up my tackle I loaded up some tissues and tylanol cold medicine and off I went. Bill I met up in DE on Tuesday afternoon. We made a few stops for a 2007 fishing license and boat registration, some food and drinks and met a small Tidal Fish crew at Sting Rays for dinner.

The conditions were shaping up and we were ready. The next morning we were welcomed at the Kiptopeke Ramp by a setting moon and the hopes of some big fish. The first day we fished the shoal for a while and picked up some big fish, but then decided to head to the ocean and search for some big blues and striped bass. After a lot of miles we managed to find them and when we did it was epic. See this link for all the fly rod action we had. Be sure to pay attention to the warning in the beginning, it is important to understand before viewing.

We had two absolutely spectacular days of fishing. On our second day coming back into the ramp we saw a few diving birds and decided to make a cast or two before going in. Two casts, one from me with a Tidal Fish jig and one from Bill on a 7" Bass Assassin produced 61lbs of fish. I landed a 26lber and Bill a 35lber. (See Pics below). We decided it could not get much better after having 5 hours of huge breaking fish on the fly and ending like that on light tackle, so we called it a day.

We got blown out on Friday, but we'll be back soon:D

Brandon

Attachments

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Nice fish Brandon! Just got off the cell with my friend John who is out there now and he said they are having an epic day! Said they had released 4 fish over 40 lbs. by 10 am. and the bite was continuing. Its been a awesome rock season here to be sure!

·
Registered
172 Posts
NIce!! It was good to see you guys down there on Wednesday and Thursday. We caught 2 28 pounders and 1 22 pounder right by the ships also. I wish we would of headed in sooner because we ran out of daylight. Jason

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
The fishing was about as good as it gets. As Brandon said, after catching a ton of fish on the fly in the ocean, we nailed two big guys right outside the ramp on the way in. It is great to fish with someone who knows the drill. We will do it again.

It is amazing what can be done with a small digital camera.

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Pete

We called you, but could not get you. Guess you were resting up from your two months fishing down there.
Will have the Podcast we did up soon. Had to get this video up and got sidetracked with fishing last week. But will shoot to get it up today.

Ernie,

For light tackle I was using a med/heavy G-Loomis 6'6" rod with a Shimano Sustain 4000 reel with 10lb fireline with a 25lb florocarbon leader. I was using a 2oz chartruese Tidal Fish butterbean bucktail (I exclusively use these lures)

Wild Bill was using the same sort of rig, but I think a St Croix rod and 2500 Penn Slammer Reel with about 10lb fireline and florocarbon leader. He was using a 7" Bass Assassin. (he can comment as well since he will know his tackle better)

For Fly Tackle:
I was using a deep lake sinking line on a Everglades Tibor reel and Sage 9wt XP rod. I use exclusively my Blanco Grande flies in baitfish and chartreuse. My 40" was taken on chartreuse.

Bill was using a custom tip SA sinking line on a Everglades Tibor reel on a 10wt Sage Xi2 (I think, he can chime in). He used exclusively his Wild Bill Big Fly in all white which also landed his beautiful 39" Striper.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Sure Ernie-

Except for the fish caught right outside the ships on the way in, which were caught on a Tidalfish Butterbean Bucktail (Brandon) and a 7' chartreuse glitter Bass Assassin (Bill), all fish on were caught on fly rods.

Sage Xi2 10 wt with Tibor Riptide and SA Custom Tip Express (big white weighted Clouser)

Loomis 10 wt Cross Current GLX with Ross Canyon Big Game 6 and SA Custom Tip Express (huge green, blue, white Clouser)

Sage Z axis 9 wt with Tibor Everglades and 10 wt Joan Wulff Bermuda Triangle floating line (large crease fly)

Sage 10 wt XP with Tibor Riptide and a Deep Lake line 7 line (large green Blanco fly)

Sage 9 wt XP with Tibor Everglades and Rio 250 sinking line (large green Blanco fly)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Nice job

Very nice Brandon and Bill. Interesting that you guys pulled those cows just outside the ramp. I had a similar experience last week on my return to ramp. There was a small fleet of boats trolling in from of the south concrete ship which I had not seen before. As I came off plane I began looking around and noticed 4-5 pelicans and a few large gulls sitting on the water in front of the north concrete ship. I then saw a large fish chasing bunker and so did the pelicans and gulls. I waited and watched and a large fished swirled on the surface again. I made a couple of casts with no luck. Maybe a good idea to begin looking for fish right in front of the ships. I hope to get down again in January.
Dave

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Very nice report Brandon and Bill. I'll be heading down on Wed morning early and will be fishing Wed Thur and Fri. I hope it's as good as you guys had. But I guess pullage is pullage and even footballs will satisfy my thirst.:D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts