Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished the NNAC tourney on Saturday which ended up with plenty of fish biggest being 7 lbs. Didn't fish Sunday, but did manage to get out on Monday. Caught our limit smallest at 26 inches. Biggest was 45 inch-32lb-30girth monster. Looked for this fish on Saturday without any luck. Biggest fish to date on my boat. Also manage to hook a monster Cownose Raye. This thing had to weigh 80 lbs. Thought at the time I had the new world record striper. Had never seen one caught that far North before.
Bubba [angel][angel]

·
Registered
336 Posts
the cow-nosed rays converged in the mid bay area and ate all of the man-placed spat oyster in one of the Wicomico rivers not too long ago......they up there!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cheers for you L'il Bubba. wish I could have been with you to watch the action, especially your reaction when you finally boated that trophy. How about some insightm into how,what,where. and when?? Thanx. P[grin][grin]

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Paul,
How are things going. Stripers plentiful around our area right now. Don't know how long they will be here, but hopefully they will stay a until the season is out. We caught this monster in the chum line. I think it was a lost fish. We manage to limit out each day with most fish in the 25 inch range. I know there were times I had a 100 stripers in my chum line at a single moment. I could toss a spoon of chum and they came from all directions. All chum would be gone in very short time. The big striper was caught on a whole bunker about 12 inches long drifting behind the boat. This line was set out at 0730 hrs and the fish took it at 1230 hrs. We never checked it or anything. Just let it lay there.
Bubba[angel][angel]

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Warren,
We catch these monster Rayes on the Outer Banks surf fishing and have caught them in the lower Rapp, but never have I seen one around Smith Point. I had read that they ate all the oyster beds up, but didn't realize it was in our area. Disappointed it was not the world record striper, but it was fun to fight it.
Bubba[angel][angel]

·
Registered
114 Posts
Dude, theyre everywhere around the Northern Neck. We used to tool around Smith Point on glassy days with an old harpoon and spear em.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I dont know about eating those things, but i've seen them caught as far north as the magothy river in MD. i've also heard reports of them caught up in the patapsco river near baltimore.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I have gotten the cow nosed rascalls as far up as the Air Plane Wreck near buoy 72A. They give one heck of a fight, but I've never been happy to hook one.

Bubba, good job on the mag rock.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I also heard they were good to eat. Caught one last year at OBX and skinned it out. It was a real weird looking meat, alternating streaks of red and white meat, cooked some anyway just two try it. I tryed it and threw it out, tasted like the dark meat in a bluefish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts