Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are two home grown flies that have obvious influences. Both have been highly productive in the lower Chesapeake this season with yields of rocks, hick shad, blues, etc.

Guinea Jig - Obvious influence from the Clouser Minnows. This pattern (root beer and pink) has been very effective.

Tying Instructions - Picasa Web Albums - Dave - GuineaJigFly

Big Belly - influenced by the Farrar Deep Blade

Tying Instructions - Picasa Web Albums - Dave - BigBellyFly

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I really like the lower one with red eyes, but based on the response (0) I got from a similar post I made on here a couple of days ago (productive sriper fly for right now) I wouldn't expect too much feedback. Perhaps there just aren't that many tyers that check this site any more. Do you always use circle hooks? I use them when there is a chance that I will be "out of touch" with the fly, ie high wind, current. Anyway, nice flies.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really like the lower one with red eyes, but based on the response (0) I got from a similar post I made on here a couple of days ago (productive sriper fly for right now) I wouldn't expect too much feedback. Perhaps there just aren't that many tyers that check this site any more. Do you always use circle hooks? I use them when there is a chance that I will be "out of touch" with the fly, ie high wind, current. Anyway, nice flies.
Thanks. The top pic is not that good. With the weight near the rear of the hook, the fly floats down and backwards and flutters.

I wanted to post a response to your other post but I am out of room with image uploads. I guess I need to buy an account.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Well done. I have one that I tie for a special high current situation - 7/0 with a 180gr 30-06 boattail bullet tied and epoxied on the bottom of the shank. Chenille covers the whole thing in a big lump like you bottom fly.

It casts poorly, but has caught fish.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'm not sure about the tungsten powder, but another option that I've used in the past with good success is the sticky weight stuff used for trout fishing. It's probably more expensive than using the powder but as long as you're not tying too many flies it shouldn't be that much more.

I've used the sticky stuff before to make a crease fly into a suspending fly, kinda like a suspending Rapala. After you stick it on and form it into the shape you want then you just put a layer of epoxy on it.

Here's a pic...

This thing is killer in shallow water on an intermediate or in deeper water using a sinking line.

David

·
Registered
635 Posts
Thanks. Yeah, the jointed crease does well on top and below. I think it shines underwater though. On the pause between strips the tail just wiggles back and forth. I had one day this summer where I oculdn't keep the CNRs from eating them. I had to switch flies b/c it hurt so much to lose so many of those things. I don't mind losing one fly to a CNR, but 7 or 8 is just crazy. They're fun the first couple of times, then it's just a chore.

Sorry, forgot about the other question. I didn't tie the one in the photo (I just added the sticky weight to it) but I think the film is some kind of wrapping paper. I bought that particular one from a guy on eBay. Unfortunately I haven't seen him selling any on there for over a year. I'd much rather buy them than make them if I can get them for a decent price.

David

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not sure about the tungsten powder, but another option that I've used in the past with good success is the sticky weight stuff used for trout fishing. It's probably more expensive than using the powder but as long as you're not tying too many flies it shouldn't be that much more.

I've used the sticky stuff before to make a crease fly into a suspending fly, kinda like a suspending Rapala. After you stick it on and form it into the shape you want then you just put a layer of epoxy on it.

Here's a pic...

This thing is killer in shallow water on an intermediate or in deeper water using a sinking line.

David
Would you happen to be able to provide a step-by-step for that?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Are you referring to making the jointed crease or just adding the sticky weight to an existing crease?

I can probably write something up (doubt I'll have time to add step by step pics).

David

·
Registered
598 Posts
Very nice looking flies. Isn't it even more fun when you tied them yourself and adapted and existing pattern to suit your needs.

I think it's almost impossible to do anything truly original. Everything we do is a knock off of something someone else has done - even if we don't know it.

Love the crease fly with the joint! Maybe you could name it Tommy Chong? (sorry guys, I could resist.) I really do like the fly and will try to tie a few this weekend. I've been putting those little glass rattles in my crease flies lately. I'm not sure if it makes any difference but I like it.
Might have to tie a "rattled tommy chong" tonight. Do you think Fly Tier would accept it for the magazine??

Thanks again for posting the pictures.

Mike

Mike

·
Registered
699 Posts
dwilliamsceg, nice looking flies! I like the colors! Interesting that the pink is over the rootbeer instead of the other way around, but what ever works! :clapping2:

I've tied a similar color combo for many years, but use a rust brown over pink, over white, with some pearl flash. Sometimes it just flat out produces every other color for me. Can't explain it, but it does. :thumbup:

Dave M, that's a neat idea! I've tried adding "suspend dots" to regular crease flies, but never could get them to suspend just right. I've been playing with articulating rabbit strip flies, and will have to try that jointed crease also!

Mike, I agree with you too about knock offs. I've been tying for about 42 years, and seems to me, we just keep recycling old ideas with newer materials and calling it new! I'm a fan of rattles also, but rarely use the glass ones. They just didn't seem to make enough noise, so I started using the plastic rattles like are used on bass jigs. The only problem is they're more expensive than the glass! I use them in topwater's & in Clouser style rattle flies. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts