·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Two World Record BARRELFISH off the RUDEE ANGLER
IGFA Announcement:

Two Pending All Tackle World Record Barrelfish from the Rudee Angler

4 Oct 2008

I am pleased to announce that I had the honor of assisting in the processing of two new Pending IGFA All Tackle World Record Barrelfish.

Last weekend I spoke with five anglers from the Rudee Angler's maiden 36-hour extreme fishing trip with barrelfish heavy enough to apply for All Tackle World Records for the species. The Rudee Angler is part of the headboat fleet out of the Virginia Beach Fishing Center in Rudee Inlet, Virginia Beach. The boat was skippered by Captain Skip Feller and Mark Sterling. Welcome to Rudee Inlet Charters * Call 757-422-5700 or 757-425-3400. They had a great trip with many deep dropping species brought back to the dock. The current pending barrelfish record is 17lbs, 4oz, caught aboard the Bill Fisher, which once approved will establish the record for that species.

Last night I heard back from the final angler, and he is submitting the required package for world record consideration. So, out of five possible contenders, two anglers have current pending All Tackle World Record Barrelfish. The fish were weighed at the Virginia Beach Fishing Center. The anglers and the official weights are:

Michael C. Holley
Clinton, MD
17lbs, 5oz

Andre Franklin
Baltimore, MD
20lbs, 15oz

Congrats to the Captain, crew and angler!:clap::clap:

Michael Holly 17lb 5oz

Andre Franklin 20lb 15oz

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
You ever eat one JuBa ? I wonder how they tatse - sweet & flake like grouper or dark and chunky like croaker ?

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
Asked this on another thread but didn't get an answer from anyone....
Are barrelfish and horse-eye jacks the same fish?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Never ate one, just going by what someone told me. But if you ate one, then why don't you tell us how they eat.
Tasty bugger for sure. I enjoyed the ones we caught. You should know all that stuff in the deep tastes good…….was it your buddy who kept the eel to eat? ;-)

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Asked this on another thread but didn't get an answer from anyone....
Are barrelfish and horse-eye jacks the same fish?
No, completely different , a horse eye jack looks very similar to a crevalle

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm signed up for this weekend's trip.:clap: Never done any bottom fishing offshore. Should be a nice birthday gift to myself.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Tasty bugger for sure. I enjoyed the ones we caught. You should know all that stuff in the deep tastes good…….was it your buddy who kept the eel to eat? ;-)
He never did tell me how that conger eel tasted. First time I caught one years ago, I googled it and you get a bunch a recipes, mostly british.......:D

GRILLED CONGER EEL

1 kg conger eel
fine salt, to taste

You'll need a conger eel that weighs about 1 kg, so that it isn't too thick or too small. Open up the belly and remove the intestines. Wash well and put aside to drain. Make a deep cut along the back, hold it open and sprinkle fine salt into the cavity. Sprinkle salt along the sides and in the open belly. Hang it out by the head in a sunny spot. Leave for a few hours, then hand in the shade in an airy place. On the following day repeat the sun/shade procedure. By the third day the eel should begin to smell like salted fish. Its skin will have wrinkled a little and the fish will resemble salted fish rather than fresh fish. It is now ready for grilling. Cut into pieces and grill. Cook for a little less time than you would fresh fish.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CONGER EEL WITH CIDER

Here is our first simple recipe for our favorite fish, Conger Eel. Make sure those fillets are also skinned before use. Using the sharpest of knives is the answer. The nice thing about this recipe is that there will be a handy bottle of Cider around whilst it's cooking.

4 conger eel steaks about 100G or 4oz each
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
flour for coating
cider a bottle (most for tasting whilst cooking)
salt and pepper
thyme
parsley
bay leaf
4 sliced eating apples

Cooking:
Heat oven to Gas Mark 6/400 degrees F or 200 degrees C. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and cook the onion until soft.

Dip the fish steaks in the flour and add to the pan, browning quickly on each side.

Place steaks into an ovenproof dish. Pour over sufficient cider to come halfway up the side of the steaks. Season with salt and pepper. Add thyme, parsley and bay leaf.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, basting halfway through.

Serve with sliced apple which has been fried gently in a little butter and some vegetable such as sliced baked potatoes sprinkled with cheese and fresh carrots.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conger Eel Pasta

15 ounce can of Vegetable Raviolis (Available from Tesco, Asda etc.)
4 ounces of Conger Eel, chopped
1/4 cup diced onion
1/2 cup of cocktail sauce
1/2 tablespoon ground dried basil
1 tablespoon sesame oil
3 tablespoons of olive oil

Drain the sauce from the can of raviolis into a pan to use later.

Microwave the raviolis for one minute.

Saute the "Conger Eel", ravioli sauce, onion, cocktail sauce, and basil flakes in sesame and olive oil.

Put the cooked ravioli on pre-warmed plate and spoon the "eel" sauce over it.

Makes about four servings.

There are about a dozen raviolis in a can.

GRILLED CONGER EEL (WITH GARLIC, LEMON AND CAPER SAUCE)
This recipe is lightening quick to complete.

225 to 275g of Conger Eel
1 dessert spoonful of Olive Oil
1/2 smallish onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1oz butter
1 level teaspoonful of sugar
3 fl oz dry white wine or dry cider (75ml)
1 oz capers (25g) drained
1 dessertspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoonful grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley, salt and freshly milled black pepper

First rinse and dry the Conger fillet or steak with a clean cloth or kitchen paper. Preheat the grill and while that's happening line the grill pan with foil and paint foil liberally with olive oil.

Then place the fish on the foil and paint the top of the fillet or steak with olive oil and season with salt and freshly milled pepper. Next grill the fish for about 3 to 4 minutes, then turn over, baste with the juices and grill the other side for the same time.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan soften the onion and garlic in the butter for about 5 minutes. Then stir in the flour to soak up all the juice and gradually add the wine, a little at a time, stirring all the while to make a smooth sauce. Next add the capers, lemon juice and zest. Simmer the sauce gently for about 5 to 6 minutes.

When the Conger Eel is sufficiently grilled, transfer it carefully to a plate using a fish slice. Pour any juice in the foil into the sauce, stir in the parsley. Then pour over the fish on the serving plate. Serve with new potatoes.

CONGER-CHOWDER
This is just the meal to have after a long days fishing, particularly if your cold and wet.

250 g Conger Eel
200 ml Water
50 g Bacon
1 medium sized potato
1 1/4 Onions chopped
500 g Creamed Corn
250 ml Milk

Peel the potato and cut into chunks. Put the chunks into saucepan with the water, and cook with a pot cover over medium heat for 10 minutes. The cut the Conger Eel into fish in chunks, mix in with the potatoes, and continue to cook for 10 more minutes (keep covered). While these are cooking, fry the bacon until it is crisp and then of the grease by placing on paper towels.

Fry the onion in the bacon grease. Add the creamed corn to the fish and potatoes. Add the milk to the onions. Crumble the drained crisp bacon and add to the milk mixture. Bring the milk mixture to serving temperature, add the fish mixture, and serve into large soup bowls. Warm bread rolls with a nob of butter enhance the dish. Enjoy. Great on a cold wet winters day and we get many of those!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was on this trip and at the Dock a guy was taking pictures of the fish and I heard him say that the Barrelfish tasted like that of a Grouper/Wreckfish .

Here's a video from that trip of a Barrefish caught with an Electric reel .. I got to gaff the fish ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts