Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Returning to my glory days of fishing, although not heading to the canyons. Is the fishing decent in the summertime in the bay? I'm aware, although clueless how to catch, of the big stripers in the spring and fall.

Let's talk boats. Say I am coming from the very Upper Chesapeake Bay (C&D Canal area) what type of boat would be preferred? Something like a 27 Albemarle, 29 Blackfin Combi, 28 CC all with diesels or more of an older Grady White type with outboards?

TIA

·
Registered
10 Posts
Most boats up here are between 20' to 25' on an average. I always like a 22 ' boat, big single. I could run to Rock hall area from North East , MD. But now with the bedumb gas hike, oouuuch!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I've been having fantastic summer fishing while staying in MD waters of the Bay. Rock, trout, perch, BIG reds, macks and cobia.
That being said, I'm a fair sail from the Upper Bay.

If I was up the Bay, I'd be looking for an outboard boat that was fast, efficient and trailerable.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I've been having fantastic summer fishing while staying in MD waters of the Bay. Rock, trout, perch, BIG reds, macks and cobia.
That being said, I'm a fair sail from the Upper Bay.

If I was up the Bay, I'd be looking for an outboard boat that was fast, efficient and trailerable.
I too, enjoy the new more diverse fishery the bay has been offering. Why I moving the boat south this year.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Returning to my glory days of fishing, although not heading to the canyons. Is the fishing decent in the summertime in the bay? I'm aware, although clueless how to catch, of the big stripers in the spring and fall.

Let's talk boats. Say I am coming from the very Upper Chesapeake Bay (C&D Canal area) what type of boat would be preferred? Something like a 27 Albemarle, 29 Blackfin Combi, 28 CC all with diesels or more of an older Grady White type with outboards?

TIA

What types of fishing do you plan to do?
Light tackle, stand up casting, jigging?
Anchor bottom fishing?
Drifting?
Trolling?
Other?

Are you a hardy soul that will be out in foul (tolerable) weather, light rain and wind, sun, heat?
Open boat. Maybe with a T-top.

This weather sucks but I'm going fishing?
Pilot house.

Reccomend something like, 20'- 25'. GPS bow mount trolling motor. Single outboard. Plenty of fishing room.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Somewhat rare around these parts but I have a Triton 240 LTS bay boat w/a 250 Verado.
I know that its not everyone's cup of tea but it does everything I need and more.
I fish from Swan Point to Port Deposit plus the tributaries.
All light tackle even when it comes to my blue cat fishing.

Wish you all the best in your quest.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking for a boat that will take me to the Bay Bridge or the other direction down the Delaware Bay to as far as the Lewes/Cape May area. I'm most accustomed to the diesel powered boats that cruise in the 21-26knt range. The OB powered boat seems tempting only due to speed.

·
Premium Member
26,386 Posts
With gas prices likely to remain high - a trailer boat might be best bet. Much better in most cases to trailer the boat rather than run far with boat.

Some friends leave their boats at various marinas / storage lots - following the fish up / down the bay.

If not in a hurry to buy - spending a few nice weekends at Sandy Point ramp or other busy public ramp will let you see a lot of boats. You can also ask owner what they like / dislike about their boat.

The deep Vees are nice in head sea but $$$ to run. The modified Vees use less fuel but can pound on choppy days.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Since you mentioned the brand I have an 04 albemarle 268 (not selling). Its an I/O so it can be towed if you have a big vehicle (7500 lbs). Fishing deck is huge. Boat has kingsize bed and enclosed head so staying over comfortable. My wife hates diesal smell so this was a good compromise. Have been down to Solomans, and anchor out up rivers to picnic and stay over in eastern shore towns like St Mikes and Cambridge, Deep v, hull drifts well, anchor on windless for chumming and has outriggers. Single volvo 8.1 not terrible on gas especially if you can control the speed and I would guess burns less fuel than twin outboards. Its been a nice compromise for cruising and fishing. Holds 180 gals if you want to head offshore. Bought it in Cape May. Newer models outboards but pricey. Still see 27s when I'm out ,so there are some older ones around.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I've been in that area for a long time...

Inboards - be prepared to pull the boat every so often and fix the running gear. Lots of stuff floating on the canal/rivers from when the dam opens.

I'm in the outboard camp for that area. Much of the spring fishing is in shallow water, many of the summer spots to hang out are in shallow water - lot of shallow water around. Props and stuff are easier to fix...

I'm running a 19' CC right now - a bit to small in my opinion. I would love a 25' Pilot house like a Judge or Maycraft. Place to get out of the weather and better in the chop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts