Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waited to see if anyone was going to post about this. WBAL! channel 11, had a piece about the slaughter of cow nose rays currently going on in the bay on the 5 o'clock news this evening. You can visit their website for the film and report. Seems somebody, or group, recently had a kill tournament for the rays. Evidently the animal rights peopl are going to get involved. I know some where reporting how many they killed on the cow nose ray thread on this board. I think it would be a good idea to stop reporting that they are being killed on these boards. These animal rights people can cause some real problems for us fishermen. Think about the surf fishing areas at Assateague and Haterras closed by none other. And like anything else the recklessly killing rays causing problems can lead to other species being needlessly killed in their eyes. These zealots believe all living creatures have feelings, feel pain etc. We don't need them in our fishing world. The film shown demonstrated them being shot by bow and arrow, bleeding all over the place. Made it look like a butcher shop.

Disclaimer: I did not start this thread to start a lot of bull**** bickering. It is only supplied as information.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yep that is exactly how those groups work. Show offs provide them with material for their propaganda war. Thanx for the info, I thought at first glance someone found a supply to the asian fish market and was cashing in on those pesky critters.

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Yeauhp, with those groups, it's usually more about HOW it gets reported.

The rays get stuffed into a barrel of water to suffocate them.....REALLY?

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,298 Posts
........ And so you report that they are being killed on the board ........ and the comments about these guys don't help either ....... Just plays into there hands

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
.....and the news media should be ashamed of themselves for airing such emotional and unsubstanciated grandstanding and exhibitionism.

·
Registered
868 Posts
That was possibly the biggest load of horse **** Ive ever witnessed, people just looking for excuses to let everything in the world live, because how many people in the bay "swim with the rays"

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
well damn where are all the protesters with the mass killing of the Menhanden . Cownose rays are tearing the bay up like the Tundra swans up north.
Horrible rooters . There are way to many in our waters. If you want to focus on something focus on shutting down the Omega industry.
Its a worthless industry as far as I go to make a pill ... You can transplant a human heart but you can't come up with a synthetic pill that fixes the issue.

SHoot all the rays you can and bloody up everything and bring on those who would cry foul. The more we can get exposed maybe it could be to our advantage.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
I agree with Bebop. Give SHARK and FISHFEEL no ammunition. Since these pics and vids were taken covertly, there may not have been much the tournament participants could have done about it.

This type of "sport fishing" where the fish are killed brutally with a ball bat, the babies killed without thought, the meat wasted and the carcasses dumped in the bay to wash up stinking on property owners' beaches may need some fine tuning. Rays tear up tackle, eat lots of oysters and crabs and seem to be too abundant at times. I hate when one grabs my lure or I snag one in the wing. Certainly do not mind them being thinned out some.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
This type of "sport fishing" where the fish are killed brutally with a ball bat, the babies killed without thought, the meat wasted and the carcasses dumped in the bay to wash up stinking on property owners' beaches may need some fine tuning.
ya think? How can this be considered "sport" fishing?

Rays tear up tackle, eat lots of oysters and crabs and seem to be too abundant at times. I hate when one grabs my lure or I snag one in the wing. Certainly do not mind them being thinned out some.
So wondering - What's the difference (to a C&R fisherman) between hooking/fighting a 20-50lb striper and a 15lb ray? other then the fact that if hooked together by the tails the ray would likely drown the striper. Why do you "C&R"? It's it to experience the "fight"? Well why not experience a much harder fighting fish then?

·
Registered
8,845 Posts

So wondering - What's the difference (to a C&R fisherman) between hooking/fighting a 20-50lb striper and a 15lb ray? other then the fact that if hooked together by the tails the ray would likely drown the striper. Why do you "C&R"? It's it to experience the "fight"? Well why not experience a much harder fighting fish then?
"Sport fishing" was in quotes which means the use of the term may be unusual.

The difference is that we try to release the striper to swim another day, participate in another spawn, grow bigger and give someone else the pleasure of catching them again. No ball bats involved.

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
The tree huggers should be complaining/protesting about all the sharks being finned and dumped back into the sea...

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
The tree huggers should be complaining/protesting about all the sharks being finned and dumped back into the sea...
Not only tree huggers should question the slaughter of sharks for their fins. Every sportsman should care about animals. That does not mean they cannot kill any.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Wonder if there is a way to contact WBAL and let them know they need to report on the other side of the story. How may crabs, clams, oysters, fish these rays are consuming in the bay. I think it a major problem and they need to be exterminated.

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Well, it ain't commercial fishing, and it ain't subsistence fishing. Only thing left as a reference to it is sport fishing, usually defined as fishing for pleasure or competition. Only the weak minded would get excited about the killing of rays being referred to as sport fishing. Or anybody else who, by their line of questioning, seem to be bothered by the recreational nature of TF, and the banter by its users.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Some people like to kill for sport.
Some folks will always find that unsavory, but it's a part of life.
It ain't gonna change, like it or not.
Sea duck hunters pound on'em all winter in the Bay, but I've yet to meet more than a handful of people that actually eat them.
There are many, many people that still travel great distances, like from here to South America, to shoot ducks & dove until the guns are so hot you can't hold them.
Granted, most of the meat is donated to the local villages, but if it wasn't, don't think those gunners would cancel their trips.

I think that the animal rights folks will have a hard time gaining ground on the Rays because there is an over abundance of the destructive creatures, and until nature (or man) puts some checks & balances in place to curb their numbers, I'd be surprised if regulators are going to do much to stop their whining.

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
Not that I would care to eat one but they do seem to contain a fair amount of nutrition. Gotta be a market for them somewhere...??

Nutritional Value (100 grams, 3.5 oz.)
Calories...........91
Protein………….20 grams
Fat……………….. 0
Omega 3………. 70 mg

www.virginiaseafood.org/consumers/factsheets/ches_stingray.htm
Cat food and leather goods. The skin is pretty tough...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts