Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you attach the shad teasers to an umbrella rig? I was going to buy a rigged umbrella, but all the teasers had hooks, which illegal, right? I ended up buying an unrigged frame and some loose shad bodies, but how do you attach them? thanks!

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
You attach them to the frame with a large safety snap. I prefer black snaps.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,229 Posts
You need to be careful- some umbrellas carry too many hooks to use legally in Md. We are limited to two lures per umbrella.You can have two parachutes with stinger hooks.

Most umbrella teasers (shads) are attached with snap swivels.You impale the tip of the shad and then close the snap.Be sure the shad lays straight/flat from the swivel.

Check out a rigged one at any local shop.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Ive never used umbrella rigs before and was just wondering if you loose alot of teaser baits from strikes to them pulling them off?

By the way, the local tackle sellers sell the legal rigged umbrellas.
In fact if you click the link in Tolmaz's sig .... he sells them.

Been thinking of ordering some myself.

·
Registered
451 Posts
That's an interesting question. Thinking about it, I don't think I've ever had a teaser hit, or should I say lost. I guess in theory it could happen but my experience shows that it's not common. I'm confident some folks will claim that it happens but not me. :)

Pete

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I hooked some up with the snap swivels as described. Now to try running the umbrella of my D/R.

·
Premium Member
26,229 Posts
I've had teasers stripped from the snap swivel - most times in late fall.
Sometimes the Rock will hang onto the teasers for 2-3 minutes and spit it right at the boat.If the fish is coming in "funny" and pulling off to the side-it might be holding onto the teaser.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I've also had teasers stripped off the swivel and had them "roughed up"....kinda like a Rock will scale a spot. Sometimes the rod will bounce hard but there's no hook set.....fish probably hit the teasers. Probably happens more often than we're aware of, especially if you run your drag real tight and would notice it less.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Is the chesapeake bay the only area that doesnt allow hooks in the teasers?

Im assuming it had something to do with the ban on rockfishing in the past? Less hooks...less fish caught?

I guess you could possibly get your limit or more in one shot?

Sorry for all the questions but just trying to learn all i can about bay fishing.
I always only fished the rivers in this area till i got a boat that could handle the bay.

I can only imagine how good the bay fishing was ....say 50 - 100 years ago before the upper bay got so polluted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts