Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prior to moving back to S.E. PA last summer, most of my fishing was done on the Finger Lakes of NY and Ontario. The tools of choice there were planner boards or downriggers. Since I have a pair of electric riggers, and am familar with their use, I'm wondering if I could use them to run an umbrella rig? Could I use a short piece of wire to attach the umbrella to the ball, and then hook the release for the bait to the center of the rig? Once the fish takes the bait, you would be fighting the fish only. thanks!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am a week away from doing the same, but running a release clip off each end of one arm of a large two arm brella.
giving me two rods off each drigger. Going to mount the downriggers midship, so I can run two more brella's off the boat rods short.
Hope more guys here can give some insight on experience's.
I found some good info here at this site, and might even paint my balls, just in case.
Shark Cannonballs Superstore

·
Registered
824 Posts
Prior to moving back to S.E. PA last summer, most of my fishing was done on the Finger Lakes of NY and Ontario. The tools of choice there were planner boards or downriggers. Since I have a pair of electric riggers, and am familar with their use, I'm wondering if I could use them to run an umbrella rig? Could I use a short piece of wire to attach the umbrella to the ball, and then hook the release for the bait to the center of the rig? Once the fish takes the bait, you would be fighting the fish only. thanks!
Should work as long as your umbrella doesn't spin. That could be a mess. Some friends successfully caught a fish doing something similar with two rods instead of using the downrigger. I think they only used it once though.

·
Registered
196 Posts
only thing you have to be careful about is getting the DR ball hung up on the bottom. Especially in the bay you are fishing contours on the bottom and if your DR bait is your deep rod whihc you want close to the bottom you have to keep a close eye on the sounder so you don't get the ball hung up. Definitely doable just need to be a little more attentive I think.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Run umbrellas off the downrigger all the time w/o a problem. Very successful this spring by the way. Hope for more succes this fall.

Jim

·
Premium Member
26,232 Posts
I tried putting a release off the umbrella - it did not work.The line got tangled on one arm.

I used a 20 feet leader from the ball - perhaps putting the umbrella at the ball might work better.

Umbrellas off downriggers are great :yes:.Not too many guys use them in the bay but they sure do work.

I put the DF on 50 khz to "see" the ball and fine tune my depth.FWIW, I like 2-3 feet above the Rockfish :thumbup:.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Hey Skip, I like both the THUNK! when you get a fish on, and having only 60 ft to reel.:yes::thumbup: Now the WWWWB on the other hand......:eek2:

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I like the idea of the release clip off the umbrella....gonna have to play with somekind of setup to get it to work smoothly.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Oldsi,

I'm not sure if painting your balls will help at all but I've tried sillier stuff before

1 - 11 of 11 Posts