Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dragging Planer boards is going to be new to me this year, cuz I will be fishing from a bigger boat.....gotta have boards, right? :yes:

Anyway..rather than spend up to $8 per clip for those fancy release clips attahced to a hikers clip, I will be utlizing the old fashioned method of rubber bands, and shower curtain rings.

A buddy of mine just told me that I would not be able to pull the traditional 4 arm umbrella, with 8 teaser 6 inch shads from that setup because it is too much drag and the rubber band will continue to break. He said I have to go to the small 12 inch umbrella, or go to a #64 rubber band, but he fears the fish will not break a 64 rubber band....Is this true from any of you guys that are experienced cheapos like me, who wont spring for the clips??

Basically, those of you that fish Planers with shower curtain rings and rubber bands, your input will be greatly appreciated as to what baits you troll off your planers...I may have to change my whole setup here...

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have fished the old fashioned rig for the past two years and I have run umbrellas off of it with no problem. When you are putting them out make sure that you set them out and do not just drop them or you will break the rubber bands. You may need to run two rubber bands some times (Sea conditions, Tide, Size of Lure, etc....) So long as you are just about at the breaking point of the rubber bands, either one, two or three, you should be fine.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Planer Boards

I was at the dollar store and saw those caribener clips for 4 for a dollar. They where the cheap plastic key ring types but I am not using them for climbing. I bought a couple of packs but still plan on keeping the shower rings close by.

·
Premium Member
26,133 Posts
Use 50 or 80 lb. braid and #64 rubberbands with umbrellas and you'll be fine.I like to put the umbrellas out to the very end (close to the board).Sometimes the fish won't break the rubberband but most will.If they don't-reel in 3-4' and "set the hook" a few times.99% of the time -this will break the rubberband. Skip

·
Registered
633 Posts
I pull some 22 inch umbrellas with a 20 oz sinker in front of them off the boards. It takes (2) #64's to hold it. A decent fish will break both bands but sometimes a 30 incher will need a little help. Give the rod a couple yanks, or just start reeling in fast and it will break. This is with 50# braid. You'll have a problem breaking the bands with mono.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Skip and others, Thanks.

Only problem is, I use 80 lb mono...do I really have to go to the hassle of switching to braid to cut through the rubber band?

Christ.... I caught limits every time out in my Carolina Skiff and a 5 rod spread for the last 3 years...this big boat, and planer boards is proving to be a real pain in the arse!!!:censored:

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Butthead

I use 2 rubber bands on the heavy rigs on 80 lb braid. Most of the curtain rings I use are the plastic ones. They slide easier.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"I have to ask. What the heck do you use 80# mono for?"

Cuz it's there.

I am not a big fan of braid. I like braid for sensitivity when LTJ'ing, but on my trolling setups, I have found braid to be "not for me".

I use 80 lb mono leaders, on 40lb test line, However this season I am utilizing 4 of my offshore setups to run on the planers. Save the cost of buying 4 new rigs at more than $100 bucks per. Those reels are spooled with 80 lb mono...overkill?? Probably. But they are what I have available at this time.

I know I'm being cheap...:yinyang:

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
I pull some 22 inch umbrellas with a 20 oz sinker in front of them off the boards. It takes (2) #64's to hold it. A decent fish will break both bands but sometimes a 30 incher will need a little help. Give the rod a couple yanks, or just start reeling in fast and it will break. This is with 50# braid. You'll have a problem breaking the bands with mono.
Wow! You think I can run some dummy lines off the boards?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Maybe not a dummy line, but I won some $$ in the MSSA last year by moving my 28 oz Mojo from right under the boat out to the end of the board!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts